Sign in to follow this  

WindowsXP - Any issues, particularly with FS2002?

Hi folks. Finally considering moving up to WindowsXP (home edition, as I don't have a need for the more server-ish features of Pro).I'm a WindowsNT and 2000 server administrator (among other things) so I do know my way around systems and software very well. One thing I know is always look before you leap! So I'm looking.... :)Are there any pitfalls or unseen dangers I should be aware of if I do decide to go to XP Home? Specifically, I'm interested if there are issues with Flight Simulator 2002, FSMeteo, FSNav, FSFlightMax, and the Dreamfleet and FSD add-on planes (I have the Archer II and the Cheyenne).I also use Squawkbox when I fly online. I use the chat window Fix that comes with it. Since that seems to run in a DOS window, am I going to be out of luck with that one? I've read that XP doesn't support DOS apps.Thanks for any info.--Tony

Guest Aidi

Hi Tony,Hope this sheds some light on the subject for you:Fs2002, FsMeteo, FSNav, and FSFlightMax all work great on WinXPI have the DreamFleet Archer, No problems there.FSD, The Cheyenne and the latest T38 all work fineSquawkbox, and all the associated programs all work fine too. The chat window and the small "dos" fixes also work fine in XPThe only small problem i have found with using WinXP (there might be a fix for this) is my USB CH Pro Pedals. When i start my sim, i have to unplug the pedals and plug them back in. After doing that they work without a problem.I am sure others might be able to elaborate further, but i have been using XP for quite a while now and like the way it works with FS2002.Rgdshttp://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/avsim_sig.jpg

Alot of the freeware FSDS created planes will not work on XP unless the are run through MdlRepair to fix some issues that XP don't like!Brian

Thanks for the tips.I believe some of the FSD International commercial planes are FSDS planes, are they not? Although you specified that some freeware FSDS planes need conversion, do the commercial ones (that you know of)?Thanks again. It sounds like I'm a go for XP Home.--Tony

HiI run PS1.3a without any issues under XP and that's a completely DOS product. It doesnt' handle any differently from when used in 2K Pro.Best regards//Neil