Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

UK Photographic Scenery

If anyone here is interested in UK terrain scenery, then I suggest that you pay a visit to the following website:-www.visualflight.co.uk/photosceneryThis is looking REALLY good.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Very nice indeed!If only MS would inlcude this in FS2K5 and then for the entire planet... :-lolIndeed very nice vor VFR, but very expensive and no night usage.O well, always something to nag about :)Will keep an eye out for their final release.Gideon.EHAM/EHSE

ChrisThis sounds amazing my concerns are that there are four units covering England alone and each unit is three CDS thats 12 CDS to cover England before we even look at adding Scotland and Ireland.Anyone know what sort of disc space is needed for 12 CDS?The airports appear to be photographs which will look great from say 2-3 thousand feet but ???? at 50 feet I would be interested in seeing screens of the scenery shot at different levels say starting at 200 feet.Yes I will have to buy this as we have been looking for good UK scenery for a long timePeter

"If only MS would inlcude this in FS2K5 and then for the entire planet..."I did a 20x20 mile section of Phoenix for my own personal pleasure--it ended up around 60 megs or so at 5M coverage. Just the U.S., we're talking a factor of 7500...I still believe worldwide photoreal coverage is a long way off, until we speed storage devices. Personalized coverage is easy--you can simply use Terrabuilder and the FS2000 Terrain SDK to "roll your own." For the states, I slice mapquest pics to use as my source... They cover major cities fairly well...-John

I know, that's why I put a smiley behind the statement.Final goal will probably be 100% VR, but indeed, you will need a quantum-computer to deal with that and a totally new kind of storage media for the low-end market.We will get it someday in our lifetimes. The final mark will be reached. What next?The ultimate FS IMHO will be a full human sensory input (vision, sound, feel, smell, taste, 360 all the way) with real live images.MS will probably come up with something that can tap directly into your brain and while you have that nice approach with that beautifull stewardess rubbing your neck, they will send subliminal messages straight into your cortex convincing you to lease their new Windows NGX-2042 for just $12,658/year or quit flying.That'll be the day :)Gideon

I'll be buying this!Looks like John's been very busy indeed!!

There was a movie that came out in the 80's--Natalie Wood's last movie, along with Christopher Walken, called "Brainstorm". Seemed kind of far fetched then, but your post reminded me of it. With today's technology already able to plug raw images into the visual cortex, perhaps Brainstorm wouldn't seem so far fetched.... If you haven't seen it, it's worth watching--it wasn't well received, but I liked it and I believe most simmers would...-John

Guest emergency_pants

I live in the UK and would love to have it... but at that price, I'm simply not prepared to fork out for it. It's over-priced, in my opinion. Talk about taking advantage! woooo!Simon.

Most of the cost will probably be the licensing for getmapping.comMy only question is, when were the photographs taken???.

We're going way off topic now, but now you mentioned it:I like to recommend a book I recentley read:"The Light Of Other Days" by Arthur C. Clarke.About wormholes they use for information transmission.Quite interesting reading material...Cheers.

The photographs will have been taken quite recently, because they were prepared for the Millenium Mapping project. As for the photographic scenery quality at low level, I can't imagine that this will be any different to that in Flight Unlimited 3...........and we all know how good that is !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Paul_W

Having grown up there I shall probably have to buy the SE England installment...then I can beat up Biggin Hill, and Kenley too. And "land" on Box Hill.Actually the colors looked a bit muted to me in the screenshots. I wonder if it's technically feasible for the producer to turn up the color and vividness in later versions.Recently I tried out something similar with the EarthViewer software. At a certain height it seemed to work well and produce decent visuals. But when I went in low over San Francisco I couldn't identify any of the tall buildings. At one point I was looking around and finally recognized that this distorted shape I was looking at was actually a tall building as seen from the perspective of a steep angle and projected onto a flat plane. So I'd agree with the UK Scenery site that the only practical way to use this scenery would be to maintain a certain minimum altitude.

PaulI can remeber when the Times magazine demo disc came out showing the aerial shots of the UK they had a new way they showed on one section of displaying cities.It was obviously created by taking very accurate point fixes of every buildings corner and making a "mesh" scenery. The result was stunning as every building was located with all the streets in 3D.This would be the ultimate way to create FS cities in the future rather than place boxes on the scenery as we do now.The way they displayed a preview of these cities showed the city growing out of the scenery.Cant remember what the technique was calledPeter

never mind!!! price isn`t too bad...