Sign in to follow this  

A thread was apparently deleted from this forum - why?

A couple days ago, a gentleman (Vincent J.) posted a note here that he and a friend were thinking of writing a new flight simulator. There was a lively followup, in which I participated. I was hoping to see more chatter about the topic, but it's gone (although an identical initial post is over in the 767 PIC forum).My question is, was this intentionally deleted by the moderator, or was this the result of a system problem?If it is the former, then I will be very interested to hear the justification.cheers,Dave BlevinsKRHV

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Tom alerted VJ that he felt the post wasn't in compliance with the site's policy with Commercial Software. -John

Ah, well, OK. Seeing as VJ is about a thousand light years away from having anything to sell, this seems a bit extreme to me... To be honest I was hoping to point them in the direction of developing add-on stuff for FS2002 that I want, but now that whole discussion is history.I now understand a bit more why I sometimes see threads by people that are all honked off about the moderation here... But, I have to remind myself that Avsim is free and also a great resource, most of the time.Thanks for the reply,Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Guess the thing to do is don't admit its Commercial, especiallywhen its that far away from completion :)Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

About the same happened at Flightsim.com also, since the forum is a support forum for MSFS.L.Adamson

Hey everyone,Thank you for all the interest shown in your posts. Although not ill intended I will not contest the decision to remove my post.However my concern now is how I will be able to get my message across properly befor the creation of our website which will only be done once photos of the product can be provided.We are currently beginning the intial phases of describing a 3D world with only a few defining physical components to it.Thank you for your support "blave" and willingness to guide us. We are not planning to close ourselves off and create a close-minded business operation here. We will hopefully soon be at a point where we will recruit some talented and dedicated people. Any ideas where and what forums I can get the message across?Thank you,Vincent

You may want to get in contact with AVSIM concerning their Commercial Product Previews forum. Brent

The usenet is still frequented by a fair number of simmers, and google's search engine is good at scanning it. You'd want to word your post in such a way as to catch attention...use of the words "project" "direct X" "simulation" etc... will help quite a bit. IMHO, I wouldn't really surface the project again until you're further along, and have a tangible sample to show people. The web is full of people stealing intellectual ProperTy and ideas and claiming them as their own :) Even if you can only model a 400-1000 sq. mile area, you need something to show people in order to solicit their intellectual or financial investment, and to help establish your copyright. And get some freeware apps out in circulation--anything to establish a name for yourself. One suggestion would be some type of virtual, 3-d map of a National Park or state. Show the concepts and the technology, and do it fast--'coz what's a current idea today will be forgotten tomorrow.Good luck to you....from a fellow developer.-John

Vincent, I didn't see your original post but here is my suggestion. If you are indeed a long ways from having this ready, then you should probably wait before trying to get a bunch of news out about it. A lot can happen if you are months away from being ready to release. We don't like to run news stories about something that never comes to existance, therefore, we will shy away from something that is months away from release. However, once you are close to the end or actual have it finished, then you can send us a press release like we request of all commercial groups. You will see a "Send us news" link on our homepage. It is at the top left column. That sends your submission to the group that puts news up on our frontpage.

vj,Can we (as in the community) start a dialoge about this project of yours? I'd like to know what is in the works, and what kind of input you are looking for. What kind of things we can expect, and what your goals are etc.. thanksCraig