Sign in to follow this  
ahuimanu

744 slats on reverse

Watch this video:http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=3317 I noticed something neat that I've never seen before... The slats near the engines fold back in during thrust reverse. Then, as the pilot comes back out of reverse thrust, the slats return to their extended position. Neat.I gues my question is: will we see this behavior in the 744? I would think it would be difficult to program. Just Curious.Thanks,Jeff

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Sorry,I wasn't quite sure how to describe that without a video. I was hoping "show n tell" would work better.Thanks!Jeff

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

This has been modeled already.Best regards,

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Does anyone know why the 744 does this? I am curious.Thanks

Guest AJ

>Does anyone know why the 744 does this? I am curious.>>ThanksI was wondering about that too. I see two possibilities. 1) Perhpas it helps to protect the slats from damage by the heavy airflow from the reversers. or 2) Maybe it is not even connected with reverser deployment. In this case, I would assume that it is connected with deployment of the ground spoilers and helps to kill lift. Personally, I am guessing the second option. Notice how long it takes them to retract after the reversers slide open and also how long it takes them to move back into place when they close.Either way, I am just guessing.Andrew

The slats do that on reverse thrust selection to avoid foreign object damage from the thrust thats being dispersed around all over the place!Henry

Athlon 64-bit 3400, 1Gb Corsair DDR, 160/80 Gb SATA HDs, HIS ATI Radeon X800 XT PE ICEQ II, Audigy 2 ZS 7.1

http://www.airline-images.co.uk

Guest glenlee

Wow, look at that wing go!!! They're flexing like a pigeons!!!!If this has been modelled as well as wing flex I'm going to have trouble looking out of the front window.Top video link, cheers JeffGlen Lee

Thank you Jeff for this nice Video.I have never seen it this like, it

Guest hlm65

Hi,it IS connected to the thrust reverser deployment.The AOM states that also the flaps indications will reflect this (don't know if PMDG has modelled this too): "during engine reverse thurst operation, automatic retraction of the leading edge flaps changes the flap position indicator to reflect flaps in transit" ("Flight Controls" section of the AOM).