Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

What real world airlines use the GE's on their 747s?

I think I read somewhere that PMDG was releasing their 747 as the GE modelled variant. So I was just wondering what airlines have GEs on their 747-400s? Here's a few that I had in mind, since they fly out of Las Vegas, so I'd be particularly interested to know if these use GEs?Virgin Atlantic (Heathrow to Las Vegas)JAL (Tokyo Narita to Las Vegas)Thanks,Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest captaingrice

Hi Jeff,Just to let you know mate, Virgin Atlantic fly to Las Vegas from Gatwick (EGKK). If I'm not mistaken (please anyone, correct me if I'm wrong), the GE engine is the most common powerplant for the 744. I'm sure the list of operating airlines is extensive.Steve.

Good stuff, I worked for the ground company that handled JAL, the other company were the ones that handled Virgin. I think at the time I was working there, Virgin was using a 747-300, but I could be wrong again.Jeff

Jeff

Guest Marc Harrington

That would have been a -200 since VS never operated the -300.JAL and VS both use GE engines... some other majors include LH, KLM, and AF.

Guest Robin.B

Just as an addition to Marc's post, all engine variants will be included in the PMDG 744 external model...

ANA, OZ, QF, NZ, Garuda, Philippines, SA, Atlas Airlines Cargo, CLX, Global Supply systems, RAM, Kuwait, SV, EVA, CI.Thats all that came accross my mind in the previous 5min. ;)

What kind of engines does United and Northwest use?Jeff

Jeff

Guest Robin.B

AFAIK United uses PW and Northwest GE, but I could be wrong!

Ramon,Do Kuwait have 744's?I flew a 742 of theirs once from Kuwait to Bangkok in 1990 (6 weeks before Saddam decided Kuwait should be returned to Iraq). First airline I ever flew to have the map on the video screen.Paul

Guest Ross

>ANA, OZ, QF, NZ, Garuda, Philippines, SA, Atlas Airlines>Cargo, CLX, Global Supply systems, RAM, Kuwait, SV, EVA, CI.>>Thats all that came accross my mind in the previous 5min. ;)NZ's 744 fleet is predominately RR RB211 powered (5 out of 8), thankfully ;)CLX also have a high percentage of RR powered B744Fs. AFAIK Qantas only has GE power on the 747-438ERs and thats only because they didn't have the option of RR power.

Thanks Ramon.I learnt something new today... I am pretty out of touch as I live in the backwaters of the aviation world.Cheers,Paul (SPIM)

Guest kombi

From GE "Qantas currently operates three Boeing 747-400s with CF6-80C2 engines. The airline's decision to order six GE-powered 747-400ERs is based on the outstanding performance of its initial GE-powered 747 fleet."Qantas acquired one GE powered 747-400 from Malaysia Airlines (MAS), and two from Asiana Airlines (OZ) during the asian financial crisis.Their new 747-400ER are GE powered also. (as per previous post.)Mike

> Atlas Airlines CargoHopefully a kind painter will slap a great atlas air paint on when the paintkit is released!!