Sign in to follow this  
JETSET843D

How will the release be coordinated

Hi there:-wave Can i just start by wishing everyone a great weekend and also clarifying that i am not requesting or pressurising the team for a release date because they will release their product when they are happy with it;-) I am just wanting to ask a member of the team, presuming they have a spare minute, how will the release be coordinated. Will it just be released on the saturday when it's ready? or will PMDG have a count down clock on their website possibly stating the queen will be arriving and then have an airport arrival style board stating the numbers of days, hours and minutes?Kind RegardsJamieOnce again i am only asking and not pressurising the team and if tey are happy to comment i would be very grateful, if not, well thats life!x:-)

Guest A32X

Can i make a suggestion?Rather than asking all these questions why not suprise yourself and just wait for the release of the 747The more questions we ask the more the team are gonna be distracted and the longer the testing will take!ROFL :-lol-Paul

I just hope when it is released that they take stong methods to thwart piracy. I hate paying for things that people steal.

What i really want to know is what will the price be.

Guest Daniel Pimentel

They'll probably say when it goes gold, then announce the release here. The countdown idea could potentially be disastrous for the site, the traffic would peak VERY badly the moment the ticker got to 0, and it would probably make the site collapse. :-lolMy bet is the typical liveries-first method to ease the traffic on the site for the release a little bit... But yeah, I doubt you'll have to wait an awful lot once the plane hits gold.Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

A32X/PaulI like your style:-lol What do you mean when it goes gold???Jamie

"Going Gold" means that the beta testing is complete, and the product is ready for release. All that remains is to package it for distribution.

Guest AJ

>"Going Gold" means that the beta testing is complete, and the>product is ready for release. All that remains is to package>it for distribution.I've never heard the term "going gold" applied to software that is distributed via download. It generally refers to products released in physical form. It is the period of time when the code is complete and the publisher is sent master copies and is busy mass porducing the CDs manuals and packaging materials for release to retailers. In this case, PMDG will distribute the product directly, and so it is ready for release more or less the moment it is deemed complete by the PMDG.Andrew

Guest AJ

The most logical way to see this is by looking at what PMDG has done in the past. By my best recolection, they have not generally given advance warnings. You just log on the the forum one day ans see an announcement that it has been released.Speculating purely on the basis of logic, it would make since for the product to go live at a time other than peak traffic times, which would give them a chance to minimize the load on their servers, and to make sure the distribution mechanism is working smothly before everybody and his brother logs on.Andrew

Guest Robin.B

I think PMDG's way is the best way. The people who dearly want the product can already predict the release time once the day has come from lurking in the forums for hours. The ones not so interested from the heart would be kept away from the site until they hear that it has been released elsewhere or accidentally stumble upon it. This way the traffic wouldn't be as high ;)

Guest AJ

>I think PMDG's way is the best way. The people who dearly>want the product can already predict the release time once the>day has come from lurking in the forums for hours. The ones>not so interested from the heart would be kept away from the>site until they hear that it has been released elsewhere or>accidentally stumble upon it. This way the traffic wouldn't be>as high ;)That's very true. In the past, PMDG generally typically waits a day or two after release before the putting up the big announcement on the main pages of the Avsim and Flightsim websites.Andrew

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Well, I used that term almost metaphorically. When the code is complete you still have to generate installers and test them... So the " going gold" term applies because the product is complete but it still has to be packaged (virtually) before it's given to the user.Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

A question to my fellow virtual and real-life pilots:Do you think PMDG will release the queen on a weekday thus minimising the likelyhood of huge amounts of traffic causing their website performance to be significantly compromised or possibly crash?I think that, if like me, everyone is checkiing the PMDG website thrice a day, the release day, weather it be a weekday or weekend would be irrelevant?Regards Jamie

You guys will the be the first to know about the release here in the forums - other than that, "When it's done" is the only release date you're getting... ;)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest McFly

I thought the term "Going Gold" was a carry-over term from the record industry of the past. "Going Gold" meant that the master tape recording had been "cut" onto a gold plated platen ready to press the vinyl records. . . remember them? I guess I'm showing my age:-) Oh, by the way, when will this thing be released. . . or has that been asked before?Terry