Sign in to follow this  
Guest franksalot

PMDG B737 is beginning to remind me of my 4th wife........

Guest franksalot

I'm new to the PMDG B737-600/700/800/900 aircraft, at the the moment though we aren't getting along very well :)- today for instance I had to cut the AP and land the B737-800 at Stuttgart (EDDS) manually. It meant losing about 1500 feet quickly, nearly all the pax were up front outside the cockpit door :) - good landing though!Why would I need to have 2 FMC/CDU's working together? I have enough problems with just the one. Another problem I can't get rid of is - when on Econ Clb climbing to Cruise alt. from about fl230 the airspeed gradually falls back, when the 'Alt Alarm horn sounds the airspeed is down to 223 kts - is this usual, or have I programmed something wrongly? KenSomerset, England

how do you climb? try FLCH or VNAV instead of VSPEED ;) Luca

Guest aarskringspier

As far as having to disconnect the AP for the landing (Assuming your set up for an auto-land) what is the plane doing? Is it not tracking the Glide Slope but it is tracking the localizer? If so make sure you not on VOR LOC and engaged in APP mode when the plane is about to intercept the GS. it should then capture and track it. Also make sure you have both nav radios tuned to the ILS and that both A and B are engaged on the Auto-Pilot.As far as the speed Im not sure I follow you. Is it having trouble climbing or just climbs at 223 knots but at a 4,000 fpm rate?

Guest franksalot

Hi Luna,I use VNAV, but I will try FLCH and see how it works out. Having done some more reading, whilst my PC was having a small upgrade (also explains my delay in answering you and Randy), it seems the speed slowdown may be due to the Econ Clb - when in the Clb page it shows min spd 223kts?Hi Randy,Yes, that was the problem, I had both VOR and APP engaged whilst trying to intercept the GS, what happened then was the aircraft started on down - then realised we were too far above the GS to land, then it levelled out at 2500 agl and so went on 'trekking' :), we flew around a few times, I got fed up and disconnected the AP, that was it really. I have found that using the Fs9 Flight Planner and being Vectored by ATC is a great way of getting to 'feel comfortable' with the PMDG B737-800 cockpit, I am now enjoying my flying again.Thank you both for your help and advice.KenSomerset, EnglandBtw :) - I've not really had 4 wives; just the fantastic one! - If I make it to April 2006 we will have been 'mates' for 50 years.