Sign in to follow this  
744pilot

Fire Bottles

Hi,I just was reading through the manual when I noticed that Each Wing has only two bottles for the two engines. But Wat if one engine requires both bottles to be discharged and then the other engine at the same wing has also a fire that needs to be extinguised. How are you able to suppress that fire without any bottles remaining?

I think that's the best to do then. :(But you could cutoff the HYD, BLEED VALVES, ELEC and FUEL by pulling the fire handle. It's better then nothing I guess.

Guest Erups

Now i think this is a good suggestion for boeing and they may simulate this on the PMDG first: engine jettison!The same fire handle: if you pull/push it three times and then turn it, the plane simply cuts the engine away!Now you don't have to think at "what if the two bottles do not suffice" ;)

Guest AJ

>Now i think this is a good suggestion for boeing and they may>simulate this on the PMDG first: engine jettison!>The same fire handle: if you pull/push it three times and then>turn it, the plane simply cuts the engine away!>Now you don't have to think at "what if the two bottles do not>suffice" ;)That would certainly help, plus it would reduce drag making it eaier to fly. However, I suspect that people on the ground are not going to be so thrilled about this.Andrew

It isn't the first time that an engine cowl falls of the engine. A KLM B744 was departing at KLAX and after takeoff the Engine Cowl falls down on the beach but nobody was wounded.

Guest ssmith1627

I believe the # of bottles is an airline options as well, right ?Or is it with different engine types ?I believe I've seen photos of the overhead with 2 bottles on each side or with 4 bottles on each side. Just don't have my photo library with me here at work.SteveKTYS

Guest hlm65

I don't think so, the 747 has 4 bottles for engine fire suppression only, 2 for each pair of engines in the same wing.

What would happen if a 2-engine aircraft loses an engine, I mean when the engine falls off the wing. Wouldn't that cause the plane to roll over the opposite site due to sudden loss of balance? And of so, could this be counteracted by back-pressure on the opposite aillerons?Dirk

Guest ssmith1627

You may be right. I've looked through an AOM and a systems manual and it just refers to four bottles total.But there is a difference in the overhead panel for the RR vs. the GE/PW engines. For whatever reason, on the RR engined airplanes, the overhead panel has two bottle discharge indicators for each engine. The GE/PW engined airplanes have just two indicators on each side, four lights as opposed to eight lights altogether on the RR aircraft.Would be interesting to hear why the differnce.Steve>I don't think so, the 747 has 4 bottles for engine fire>suppression only, 2 for each pair of engines in the same wing.>

Not sure about any others but BA (RR) defiantly have 2 bottle each engine. Im sure thats for all airlines! So 8 in total! There is only 1 fire handle per engine. In the event of fire, the handle is pulled. The pilot would normally wait to see if this extinguishes the engine as sometimes it will. Then he will twist the lever for the first fire bottle which will normally put the fire out. Then they have the second bottle. If after this the fire hasn't gone out....then the pilot is just #### unlucky!Ross

Guest Robin.B

Where has the world come to? We are genuinely talking about the use of Fire Bottles in a flight sim! :-lol

>Not sure about any others but BA (RR) defiantly have 2 bottle>each engine. Im sure thats for all airlines! So 8 in total!>There is only 1 fire handle per engine. >>In the event of fire, the handle is pulled. The pilot would>normally wait to see if this extinguishes the engine as>sometimes it will. Then he will twist the lever for the first>fire bottle which will normally put the fire out. Then they>have the second bottle. If after this the fire hasn't gone>out....then the pilot is just #### unlucky!>>RossWell, actually the GE/PW only have 4 bottles. I am not 100% sure but my training material only shows the RR as having 4 as well. The RR layout has an indication that shows how many bottles have been used per engine whereas the PW/GE has an indication per wing.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Ramon-The statistical probability of having succesive engine fires on the same wing at different stages of the flight is very remote.In fact- i'm not aware that it has happened at any point in the 17 year history of this airplane.....But you aren't entirely out of danger:One thing you hear frequently from crews who have an engine fire in the real world is: "It just wouldn't go out. They always go out in the sim!"We have taken some engine fire from the NTSB's public records and used that to build a probablility process for engine fires.Obviously- the fire suppression system works very well on modern turbofan engines- but there is always that slight probability that the fire will not go out with the first bottle- in which case you will need the second bottle....And there is occasionally a time when that won't work either...So- my advice: Don't play with fire. You might get burned.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com