Sign in to follow this  
Marius_S

Taxi fuel

I'm planing my first flight with the queen (KSFO-PHNL), but the manual doesn't mention anything about taxi fuel. So, does anyone know how much fuel this bird will use on taxi?Thanks..

Marius S

Guest cargo747

"Rule of thumb" <- until related documents available ... you can use +/- 600-800kgs for taxi fuel ;-)Cheers,Norbert - CLX001CEO Virtual Cargoluxwww.virtualcargolux.orgCLX_banner_grey.jpg

Guest rellehenk

TAXI FUELThe taxi-out allowance consists of:Variable :* 45 kg/min taxiFixed :* 100 kg for 20 minutes APUoperation.* 200 kg for engine starting.* Approx 470 kg extra allowance togive 99% taxi fuel coverage.

>I'm planing my first flight with the queen (KSFO-PHNL), but>the manual doesn't mention anything about taxi fuel. Because it is completely unnecessary. All other calculations (and errors) dwarf amount of fuel needed for taxi. It is like calculating amount of fuel in your car needed to get out of the garage.Michael J.

Not really,if you're on a fuel critical route (yes they exist!) and operating out of a large airport, taxi fuel IS a consideration! There are times you need to taxi for around 30 minutes - and that's 3 or 4 engines running idle the entire time...Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

What is a fuel critical route? The minimum landing fuel for a 747 is around 19,000 lbs, 24,000 lbs for international flight. With contingency fuel added your 30 min taxi time (equivalent to say 10 min cruise) is simply nothing. Michael J.

Guest rellehenk

Airline company's are planning so that they land with a minimal amount of fuel. Less fuel, less weight, less cost ;)What if:You will have to fly holding for 30 minutesYou had to make a Go Around due to bad weatherYou will have to fly to your altenate destinationThere was some unexpected headwindOoops, no fuel anymore. Because I forgot to load fuel for taxi...

Michael J,In a real life situation absolutely nothing is left to chance, coupled with the fact that an airline is trying to make money, and therefore they need to know exactly the fuel needed.Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

>Ooops, no fuel anymore. Because I forgot to load fuel for>taxi...Then it means yor really screwed up and forgot about minimum landing fuel or contingency fuel. You will never convince me, no matter how hard you try that some airlines/operators plan to land with less than 15,000 lbs of fuel remaining since that would truly be emergency situation all in itself.Michael J.

Guest rellehenk

Than all airliners in the world (and even JAA and FAA) are stupid

>Than all airliners in the world (and even JAA and FAA) are>stupidI suggest you start reading the manual, it will do you some good. *:-*Michael J.

Guest Nickio

I dont have perfect memory, but the requirements are that you plan your fuel enough to your destination, and to your alternative or 2 hours whichever is greater plus a go-around. JAA stuff.Nick