Sign in to follow this  
Guest allblack

Downloading to a different PC than simming on

Guest allblack

Hi guys.One gets the impression that PMDG are releasing a new aircraft soon, so this question seems timely....I don't have high-speed internet, in fact my dial-up is running like a pig at the moment and I'm currently getting 13kbps! On a good day!So, I'm looking at downloading the 747 (I refuse to refer to such a awesome machine as a "Queen") on a friends PC, saving it to his HD, copying to a DVD/CD, taking it home and copying the DVD to my HD.And then calling in sick to work for a week.My concern is with my limited knowledge on these things, am I asking for trouble with my plan above?The download will have considerable data, is there not a good chance it could get "jumbled" / corrupted in the transfer processes? For example, when I lower the flaps to 10, the fuel shuts off to Engine 3!!! Or I activate FLCHG, and the rear toilets flush.That sort of thing.I would be grateful if some folk who know a lot more about these things than I do could offer some advise, or maybe from someone who's done it?Can't wait!CheersTim

Guest Robin.B

Don't worry about the "jumbling"... NO such thing will happen ;)

Guest allblack

Hi Robin, thnks for your positive reply.I'm curious though, on what basis do you make that assertion? Have you had experience doing this sort of thing?You seem very sure...; )CheersTim

Guest Robin.B

Well, unless your burning process onto a CD doesn't complete successfully, there is no way an EXE would jumble. If the burn couldn't be done properly and there were errors, you wouldn't be able to run the faulty installation EXE in the first place. But 99% of the time, there won't be any flaws at all, especially with handling a relatively small file (The 744 is only around 60MB)

There are somethings to think of.I am hoping PMDG will implement some sort of Anti-piracy software for the DL.Also if they continue to have a expiring download link, MAKE SURE to installs it before the download link expires. Some people have downloaded the 737, left it for more than a day, (which I can't understand, I have to play with it as soon as I get it) only to find out that the file is imcomplete and wont install.We have been told that the AC will weight in near 60mb! So it will fit on a CD no problemo!

>>And then calling in sick to work for a week.> I hope your boss is not browsing this forum!!!!>I would be grateful if some folk who know a lot more about>these things than I do could offer some advise, or maybe from>someone who's done it?I used this method before I got cable, and it worked perfectly.To be on the safe side regarding legal stuff aso; I would - once you have the 747 running - delete it from your friends PC.Good luck!!Wijnand

Guest pellelil

Only PMDG and perhaps the beta-testers can give you an accurate answer since the rest of ud don't "know" how the download/installation-process is going to be. However if they do as they have done with the B737 you should have no trouble downloading it on one PC and the burn in onto a CD to bring to the PC where you want to install it. But as others alredy have suggested be sure to delete on the PC whereto you first downloaded it since you probably only get to install it once ;-)http://jdtllc.com/images/RCbeta.jpghttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgPelle F. S. Liljendal

Guest allblack

Thanks all, I appreciate your comments.I'm still concerned that a download with a zillion bits of data can be transferred between discs and HD's without any problems, but then I am naive on the subject. Your comments have helped immensely.Download size of about 60MB??? Seems small, compared to the LevelD767 which I think was about 137MB?Why the disparity do you think?I would have thought PMDG's "latest and greatest" would have been an enormous file, but as mentioned about, I'm not a whizz on these types of things...CheersTim

Guest AJ

1. When you download the file verify that when it is complete, the file size is the same as that stated on PMDG's website prior to downloading. This will go a long way toward ensuring that you do not have a corrupted file.2. Unless they do somthing really unusual, there should'nt be a problem in downloading on a different computer as long as you don't instal or unpack it on that comp. Just copy the file as is on to the CD. Usually the authentication take place during installation.3. If the file is corrupted, the installer will probably not work in the first place, so I don't think you have to worry about flushing toilets and the like.Andrew

Guest allblack

Thanks Andrew.Appreciate your comments.Tim

Guest Buck Bolduc

>Hi guys.>>One gets the impression that PMDG are releasing a new aircraft>soon, so this question seems timely....>>I don't have high-speed internet, in fact my dial-up is>running like a pig at the moment and I'm currently getting>13kbps! On a good day!>>So, I'm looking at downloading the 747 (I refuse to refer to>such a awesome machine as a "Queen") on a friends PC, saving>it to his HD, copying to a DVD/CD, taking it home and copying>the DVD to my HD.>If I may make a suggestion. Perhaps you can pick up a LinkSys NIC (Network Interface Card) and install it in your computer. They are cheap now. If your buddy has a router it's a simple case of pluging into the router. You will need a CAT 5 straight thru (no crossover) to do so. Or he can take his machine offline for a few minutes and put yours in it's place. If he doesn't have a router/swicth you may have to install his ISP's software on your machine temporarely.This way you got it on your HD and can then burn it to a CD/DVD.Also your machines IP address will be consistent and you will avoid being suspected of piracy.Just a thought, it's easy.Best