Sign in to follow this  
Guest psouthan

This is going to sound real stupid but if I don't ask i will be even more stupid

Guest psouthan

I have been noticing recently that when I start my decent in the 737-600,700, or 800 series, when I press speed it doesn't seem to slow the plane down. I have tried re-installing the 737 but am I overlooking something here? I thought I could remember a time when I clicked on the speed and if I wanted 240 knots, thats what I got. When I now capture an ILS I seem to be far to fast, and with seemingly no control over the speed? Can anyone shed any light on this for me please.CheersPaul

The best way to reduce your speed then is to use FLCH and speedbrakes to slow down your B737. Also, tell me in wat mode you are when this happends

Guest Dutch Commando

The 737 is simply a real "b*tch" to slow down. Same in real life, so correctly simulated :).

Guest costone

Thats an excellent question.Yeah, sometimes bringing the 737 down feels more like a controlled space shuttle re-entry if you're riding the FMC down. But it is modeled correctly as said above. I think if the MS ATC were able to step you down properly then you would have better management of the ROD angle vs. speed. Best advice from my point of view is to either manually slow down (with speedbrakes if needed) before engaging the T/D point, or program a reduced speed (and/or lower altitude) into the last waypoint before T/D. Not too realistic if you have a schedule to keep...but at least you can make up the lost time when you level off on approach.Really hope MS can remodel the ATC handling a little tighter.

Guest Hawkeyeted

>I have been noticing recently that when I start my decent in>the 737-600,700, or 800 series, when I press speed it doesn't>seem to slow the plane down. I have tried re-installing the>737 but am I overlooking something here? I thought I could>remember a time when I clicked on the speed and if I wanted>240 knots, thats what I got. When I now capture an ILS I seem>to be far to fast, and with seemingly no control over the>speed? Can anyone shed any light on this for me please.>>Cheers>>PaulPaul, that is becuase the VNAV descent can only do one of two things:1) PATH descent, in which speed management is out the window, or2) SPEED descent, in which path is out the window.Treat the PATH descent the way you would a G/S on an ILS. From 30K ft to 5K ft, the FMS predicts the most efficient (least gas) slope to arrive at the airport.SPEED descent works just like a VNAV climb, in that the FMS maintains speed through nose pitch down, and without respect to the path of the descent.That said, I think your NG is working perfectly! If you need more information regarding PATH and SPD descents, just review the manual. It is spelled out in more detail there.