Sign in to follow this  
Murray_CHYZ

FPS hit with multiple panels/monitors.

Hi guys!I sent an e-mail about this but thought I would post here now that the forum is up. I hope that is ok!?!I have 2 networked computers each with a dual head video card (4 monitors). Please note that I have tested the 747 with just 1 monitor as well.Anyway, on the ground and even in a "cold and dark" situation, I am getting very poor FPS as I begin to open sub panels (down to 6 from 24). Now, keep in mind that everything is shutdown (FS Autostart), the 747 is still "cold and dark", and I am testing with 1 monitor and then 2, and then 4. Regardless of how many monitors I use, the drop in FPS is consistant.Now, I have noticed that the Overhead and the Com sub panels do the most harm. I have also noticed that if I open the Overhead, move it to another monitor, then close the Overhead and start it again, the FPS will go back up almost to full (locked at 25).I have tried lowering the FPS to 10 and then 5 within the PMDG options but no joy.I have no traffic loaded nor do I have any other addons running. I do use a program called MaxiVista Pro running that allows me to use the 4 monitors at the same time. I just tested my system with the PMDG 737, Flight1's ATR, and LDG 757 and they all work just fine with all the sub panels open and moved to different monitors.Any thoughts? Thanks!Murray Wheten

Great job on the update to the 747. Thanks! Will PMDG be addressing the only other concern I have. See Below... or above! :)I did everything I could to make it faster... I reloaded and optimized all my software and purchased a faster CPU (AMD 64 3700+) and another stick of memory - 2 gigs now). You will have to take my word for it when I say I am not a novice user and that I run FS in a "near" perfect environment (everything shut down not needed).As stated previously the overhead panel is the FPS killer for me. Yes, I can shut it down before takeoff but for me, and I think other multiple monitor users, this detracts from the experience.So, I will ask once more and then let it be. Will there be any work done to improve rhe FPS when the overhead is opened. BTW, this happens even when I use "one" monitor... using two or more does not make it worse. And in a cold and dark or with everything fired up and on.Thanks!P.S. If anyone who is "not" having this problem, could you please not respond to this thread. That would be completely counter productive. I already know there are those that seem not to be bothered by this. I am "truly" happy for you. I am not being funny. I really am happy for you. Murray Wheten>Hi guys!>>I sent an e-mail about this but thought I would post here now>that the forum is up. I hope that is ok!?!>>I have 2 networked computers each with a dual head video card>(4 monitors). Please note that I have tested the 747 with just>1 monitor as well.>>Anyway, on the ground and even in a "cold and dark" situation,>I am getting very poor FPS as I begin to open sub panels (down>to 6 from 24). Now, keep in mind that everything is shutdown>(FS Autostart), the 747 is still "cold and dark", and I am>testing with 1 monitor and then 2, and then 4. Regardless of>how many monitors I use, the drop in FPS is consistant.>>Now, I have noticed that the Overhead and the Com sub panels>do the most harm. I have also noticed that if I open the>Overhead, move it to another monitor, then close the Overhead>and start it again, the FPS will go back up almost to full>(locked at 25).>>I have tried lowering the FPS to 10 and then 5 within the PMDG>options but no joy.>>I have no traffic loaded nor do I have any other addons>running. I do use a program called MaxiVista Pro running that>allows me to use the 4 monitors at the same time. >>I just tested my system with the PMDG 737, Flight1's ATR, and>LDG 757 and they all work just fine with all the sub panels>open and moved to different monitors.>>Any thoughts? Thanks!>>Murray Wheten

Murray,I seem to have this problem with the O/H taking a lot of FPS. But during testing most of the other test pilots didn't have it. My advice to you is to close down the O/H and COM panels when you need those extra 10 FPS. This probably has something to do with monitor/videocard/settings setup and is system specific.Hope it helps,

Thanks for the response Mats. Does that mean I'm out of luck. Thats too bad. I received an email (or a pm) from one of the other beta testers (many months ago), and he said this was a known problem and would be addressed in an pcoming update (he did not say this one) . Oh...well! :( I notice you have the ATI X800 XL. I have the ATI X800 Pro (ATI 9600 Pro and a ATI 9500 Non Pro). Hmmm... I wonder??? But, that would mean that FS9 has become a GPU intensive sim with the advent of the 747. As you know FS9 has always been known as CPU intensive. We 256MB video card guys were simply "fooling" ourselves.I don't think it is a monitor problem... I own six different ones (4x 19" and 2x 17"). It does not matter if I use 1, 2, 4 or all 6. The FPS drop is the same. And as I said before, the state of the plane makes no difference.Well, I quess I will crawl back under my rock and dream of the day that, the hardware finally catches up to the software. The only thing that always bothered me about this "statement" is... how can you know how something will react, on harware that does not exist. Hmmm... phycic (spelling) hot line maybe!?! :)BTW guys and PMDG... your products are fantastic... I OWN them all! I am not complaining, just looking for an answer to a problem. One that happens on all "three" of my computers. That's why am here.Murray Wheten

Guest markusr

Hi,i received the 747 to christmas :-)Also have the problem, when the Overhead is opened on a second monitor the frames will be locked down to 6. Closed the panel i got 14-20 frames.. strange thing. Hopefully PMDG will look at this problem deeper.If someone has another solution please post it there. thanks ;-)Markus