Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

Can't tune ILS in PMDG 747

I read the parts of the manual which cover tuning an ILS in the FMC of the new 747. No matter how many times I try to tune ANY ILS, it keeps saying "Invalid Entry" or sometimes, "Navid Invalid". This happens wherever I am - in the ground, in the air 10 miles away, etc. I know there are times you can't tune on the ground, as it says in the manual - but in the air - 5 to 10 miles out? No matter what I do, I can't get the auto tune of the FMC to be overridden and the line 4L to say anything onther than PARK. Nor can I get the frequency I want to be displayed on the lower radio stack.Any ideas? Everything else with the bird is working GREAT for me.Thanks.Chris Catalano

Chris,You have to enter ILS info per the right syntax FRE.QU/CRS into the CDU for it to accept it. If you however have a valid runway entered for your departure you should see the ILS entry in PARK. Whenever the ILS comes in range the FMS will automatically tune and set the ILS and when LOC comes alive it will change your MCP HDG bug to the ILS CRS.Hope it helps,

Thanks for the info.Can you give me a very specific example for Chicago KMDW - Runway 4R has a frequency of 111.50, with a course of 38 degrees. What EXACTLY should I type into the scratchpad of the FMC to upselect to LKS 1L?Thanks a million!Chris Catalano

Guest captbulldog 2

Hmm.. the fact that you're putting it in 1L is the problem in itself. That's the VOR frequency line. The ILS line is a few keys below that, like 2 or 3 and called ILS. Anyways, put in 111.50/038 in the ILS line.

Chris,You should type in 111.50/038 and select it up to LSK 4, not LSK 1 as you suggested. LSK 1 is for your VOR nav aids. As in the LDS 767 this bird has a dedicated ILS tuner.Or you could enter an arrival runway procedure and let the FMS autotune the ILS when in range.Hope it helps,