Sign in to follow this  
Guest DaveI

RR engines

Guest DaveI

Hi Folks I am not yet a PMDG 747 user and am waiting for a version with Rolls Royce engine emulation. Is this likely to be available at all/soon/sometime ?Looks a great 747 so far !!

The B747-400 comes with GE, P&W AND RR engines. The BA aircraft for instance are modelled with the RR engines. My own fictional Maersk livery (which I'll be re-releasing soon on here on AVSIM) is also modelled with the RR engines (picture of it in my siggie).

I assume you're asking about the cockpit and flight model implementation of the PW and RR engine types - that will be availiable as part of the PMDG 747-400F Cargo addon, which will be released soon.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest DaveI

Thanks Ryan That's true, it was the cockpit/flight model emulation I was enquiring about. I assume we will then be able to apply the RR/PW versions to the non-cargo aircraft ?

Dave-I am going to take the UNUSUAL step of correcting Ryan- who is rarely wrong. :-)We have not made a final decision on the addition of EPR/N3 isntrumentation to the airplane. Our original plan was to add this further expansion of the airplane in a future update to the airplane (most likely the 400F) but we have run into significant technical challenges obtaining accurate and complete data sets.Rolls and PW are not willing to provide the engine performance parameter information needed to conduct the modeling the way we want- so currently we are exploring other alternatives for full and complete data sets.(For the experts who think engine models are easy: The information provided in flight manuals is about 10% of what is needed..... )If we are unable to secure the data required, we will simply be unable to add the extra engine instrumentation sets.FWIW: I spent some time with Alteon/Boeing a few weeks ago- and we conducted operations in the sim using all three engine sets. The performance differences were un-noticable by a seasoned -400 type rated crew member- and the only noticable difference was the pretty numbers on the EICAS....There comes a point where you have to make reasonable decisions.... PMDG cannot spend $250,000 for a data set. ;-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest DaveI

Thanks for taking the time to reply so informatively Robert.I understand your position,which is entirely reasonable.It seems to me that If you cannot reasonably obtain the data for a full emulation of RR/PW engines, and the performance differences are not significant, then the alternative EICAS displays would do in themselves, together with the aicraft visuals (which I understand are available now. I have heard however that the 3 spool engines have better fuel consumption than the 2 spool ones......I don't know whether its true though.Best Regards

Guest B1900 Mech

If a fellow A&P mechanic could get the engine maintenance manual performance chart's, would that be acceptable,or are we dealing with Legalites?

Jim-send me email about this...lkalamaras (at) precisionmanuals.com(Hopefully, it won't be spam-blocked).

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Hi Robert and all,As you mentioned it is not suprising that all three variants pretty much give you the same 744, after all its Boeing who sets strict performance guidelines and its up to the engine manufacturers to build engines to meet these specific criteria. How they go about it is the uniqueness of each engine, but ultimately they are designed to give the 744 a specific performance.Since the performance difference is subtle and considering this is a product for FS2004, im sure most people would prefer to have the N3 and EPR, and would not be upset even if the performance was identical to the GEs. Theres no need to break the bank! Common sense is enough. :-) Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Yep, your right about that.But the EPR gauge should be close enought to the real thing ofcourse

Guest navneet_cxp

Hey guys,Let me remind you of one thing.The GE and the PW are pretty similar and have a two stage axial flow compressors (i.e. N1 and N2 only) so its similar to model.But the RR engines have 3 compressors i.e. N1-low pressure compressor,N2 Intermediate High pressure compresson and N3 High Pressure Compressor.So the EPR settings are kind of difficult to implement onto the present PMDG 747.But i cannot believe the fact that there are some people in this world who have not bought the PMDG 747 YET !!!!!! I'm Surprised...TotallyPersonally i suggest you guys to go for it.Regards,-NavneetFS 2004 Version 9.1AMD Athlon 64 3000+ATI Radeon 9600 128MB - Anti-Aliasing 6x1GB DDR400 Kingston RAMWestern Digital 30 GB - Seagate 120 GB (7200 rpm)Sony DVDRW - 16XLG Flatron 775FT 17' MonitorCreative SBLive! X-Gamer 5.1Creative Inspire 5.1 5200Windows XP Pro SP2 v.2180Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro 2Logitech Cordless Optical Mousehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg-|http://www.precisionmanuals.com|-

Guest Robin.B

Robert, your enlightenment was so clean that the only question I want to ask about it is what FWIW means! ;)

Robin,FYI, it means For What It's Worth. ;-)Cheers,

Guest B1900 Mech

Hey Lefteris, I sent you a email:-)

Guest andyman

>Hey Lefteris, I sent you a email:-) Crossin fingers....