Sign in to follow this  
Arnaud

Note to the PMDG painters

Hi,I have been downloading some repaints from the PMDG download site,liveries for the 747-400.I have noticed that some textures seem to have been compressed in DXT3 with MS Imagetool and some others with DXTBmp. How's that? Because,the textures compressed with Imagetool will take more time to load in FS than the textures compresse with DXTBmp. Dont ask my why, but doingsome repaints myself from time to time, I know that for sure, and it is very noticable in FS for anyone doing the test.Also, some textures has incorrect alpha channels which cause someblack painting to appear 'bare-metal' in FS, when they should be black.Thanks to PMDG they had the excellent idea to propose also 32bit textures install, so I was able to fix those myself and compress them to dxt3 myself using DXTBmp.I thought it would be of some use to the PMDG liveries repainters to avoid MS Imagetool for all those reasons.(example of liveries I had to fix: Air China(buggy Imagetool compression), Japan Airlines(underside wing reggo alpha set to pure white), Cathay Pacific (uncorrect Aplha on fuselage textures) and United new colors (buggy Imagetool compression).needless to say that using DXT3 textures compressed with DXTBmp rather than Imagetool will also improve the framerates when in spot view, in a very significant way.

I just want to add a note of thanks. Thank you so much, PMDG, for providing all those liveries for free downloading. I just went by PSS's site and saw that they charge

Hakim, I fully agree of course, and my comments on some of the PMDG liveries was, at any rate, not meant to be a complain.(the PSS repaints policy is simply obscene IMO).My post was just to point to something that might be usefull for others.Just to let some painters know about an issue I found with Imagetool while doing repaints myself and testing some AI stuff.Thanks Pete for understanding.I omitted to say that some liveries were obvioulsy comrpessed with DXTBmp (Eva Air, Air France, Northwest NC, etc...), so I assume somepainters at PMDG use Imagetool and some others use DXTBmp to compress their bitmaps.Regards,:-)