Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

Couple Q's: 744 manual T/O w/ FD assistance and ...

Can someone check out my procedures here and let me know if this is correct? Manual takeoff without using AutoThrottle:1.) Set up FMC (set V, engine out, acceleration, and thrust reduction speeds and T/O and Climb Thrust)2.) Press VNAV3.) Turn on Flight Director4.) Set MCP speed to V2+105.) Manually advance throttles to 70% N1, at stabilization advance throttles to max thrust. (The FMC thrust limiter will limit the thrust to the T/O setting)6.) After rotation the FD should lower the A0A at the FMC set altitude. 7.) When passing the Thrust Reduction altitude press the Thrust button on the MCP ***does this 7th step work or does the thrust have to be manually reduced? 2nd Question is there somewhere I can learn more about perfoming holds with the FMC - the manual does not cover it, (unless I am just missing it) Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!Richard

Guest neeraj.pendse

My comments:4) I think it should be V2+20.7) I would lower the nose before reducing thrust. I do not know if the FMC will automatically reduce thrust -> anyway you are not in A/T mode, so might have to do it yourself.All else looks fine.Second question: I could not tell you how to do it, but there's a HOLD page on the FMC, isn't there? Or am I confusing with the Airbus MCDU ...My $0.02- Neeraj.

I'm not sure but I think that regardless of using A/T you should always set your MCP speed to exactly V2. That way the F/D will tell you to maintain V2+10. If A/T is not even armed you should reduce throttles manually upon reaching thrust reduction height. Notice this does not mean reducing your pitch to start accelerating unless your thrust red and accel heights are one and the same. In European noise abatement procedures they are not, for example. If taking off with autothrottles but no Vnav, once you reach thrust reduction height you should engage FL CH. This last bit could be wrong since this procedure is correct for the 777 and I *assumed* it might be the same for the 744. Best Regards,Victor Limahttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys - the issue of V2+10 or V2, or V2+20, does anyone know what the real answer is? As in this thread I've seen many different variations, not sure which is right. Any other takers...

Guest Matze2912

I think V2+10 is correct for the Queen..Matthias

Guest alexhn

Quoted from the real 744 operations manual:After takeoff, the AFDS commands a pitch attitude to maintain:

Guest jdrago

>5.) Manually advance throttles to 70% N1, at stabilization>advance throttles to max thrust. (The FMC thrust limiter will>limit the thrust to the T/O setting)In section 9-5, for a manual takeoff, it mentions advancing the throttle to 60% N1. For an autothrottle takeoff, you advance to 70%.Someone correct me if I'm wrong.- John

Guest D17S

I've been doing a lot of test flying to check out this very issue. So far the results are varied. Here's what I've noticed. At very high GTOWs (840+) the flight director will direct a speed on pitch climb to the FMC's V2, or Vlo (lift-off) regardless of where I set the MCP speed window. If I can stay at the FMC's V2, at Vnav capture (400 feet), the MCP window blanks and the target airspeed above the speed tape goes to the FMC's V2+10 . . . again regardless of where the MCP speed window was previously set. This is completely repeatable. I even installed MSFS and the add-on. (Not on purpose!) A couple of things are interesting here. The real ops is saying the MCP window is the reference and the initial climb will be flight directed at MCP window +10. In the sim, I'm seeing that at an 840K lb GTOW, an FMC V2 of 180 kts and a MCP window setting of 200 kts will settle the airplane into a 180 knot climb every time. Not 200. Try it. Get yourself heavy (840+K lbs). Set the MCP to 200 kts. Do not arm Vnav. Lift off PRIOR to V2, Gear up. Stabilize pitch on the command bars. Don't let it get away from you. Stay right close to the FMC's V2. Then engage the AP and let loose. V2 will be slower than flaps 20 schedule, so there will be no flap retraction. Just make sure the MCP