Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

How do we access the database for info about airports?

Guest cliffie1931

Some FMC's have a Data Button to search the navigation database for info about airports or navaids.As the FMC in our 747-400 doesn't have that button is there another way to access that information in the FMC?Cliff

Guest Paragon

The 747 FMC does have it...you can find it under the Nav Data page in the FMC.

Guest cliffie1931

Thanks Mikkel. I feel a real "Duhhh" not thinking of that button.Regards,Cliff

Guest cliffie1931

Now I don't feel so much of a "Duhh"! On a flight from Orly (France) to Gatwick (UK) I tried to access Nav data for airports en route. Pressing NavRad didn't yield that information.Pressing INIT REF....then INDEX....then NAVDATA also didn't give airport information.Any other ideas?Regards,Cliff

Guest Paragon

Well I don't know what to say. While enroute to FMEE the other day I went to, like you did, Index then Nav data and entered FMEE in the top left hand and saw the position and height asl for that airport. I assume that you enter the ICAO name for the airport and click the correct LSK?

Guest cliffie1931

Sorry Mikkel I didn't explain myself clearly. My query arose from a tutorial dealing with the FMC DATA page which read as follows: "This page can be displayed by pressing the DATA button or through the main Menu. It lets you search the navigation database to get information about an airport or a Navaid.If you search a Navaid it displays the Navaid location and frequency. If you search an airport the airport page shows some information about the seached airport location, elevation and runway length"So I was wondering whether the 747-400 offers the same information. I hadn't been able to find it.......hence my query. I'm aware that the 747-400 FMC offers airport information about the airports in the Flight plan but was wanting to know if it also offered information about other airports in the area in which we're flying. In particular airports that could be considered as alternatives to our planned destination.Regards,Cliff

Guest Paragon

Okay, I'm not sure if I understand it then. I just tried when I was on a flight from VHHH to EGLL and I can find information, like the information you mention, about any airport/navaid, not only the ones in the flightplan.

Guest cliffie1931

Mikkel thanks for hanging in there with me. NOW I know what you're talking about and that pesky learning curve has smoothed out a wee bit more.I recreated your flight from VHHH to EGLL using FSNav and entered it into the FMC. I then entered KSEA and the resultant information was a duplicate of what you showed me.I had a misconception of what I'd find. I thought that there would be a list of airports from which to choose rather than inputting a specific airport.Presumably that means that a chart is a MUST when looking for an alternative landing site. I'd thought that the FMC would offer a listof alternatives from which to choose.One further follow up question please. I note that the KSEA information didn't include the runway length. Surely that's important when deciding which alternative to choose?Regards,Cliff

Guest Paragon

Ah, no there is no list of airports to pick from. Alternatives could be picked from the ND, but in real life they probably have charts available. I have it set so that the ND only shows airports that have runways long enough that will allow a 747 to land there. This is done from the PMDG options menu.The runway length information can only be seen, afaik, when you have entered the airport into the fmc and chosen a runway to land on. This can of course be overcome if you use the above method.

Guest cliffie1931

Now I'm clear Mikkel. I thank you. Now to get back to the "All Blacks" versus England rugby match!With my regards and appreciation.Cliff