Sign in to follow this  
Guest chrisdb

Help with FMC and autopilot

Guest chrisdb

HiI am having real trouble, and I am quite sure it is because I am a dumb #### rather than there being a problems with the PDMG 747!I plan my flight using the flight planner, and then set up the FMC with all the data that is required - the only thing I cannot set is the gate number.I taxi, and then using TOGA take off. I then switch to LNAV and VNAM and sit back and wait. But although LNAV seems to work OK the plane does not fly to the altitudes or speeds set in the FMC. Before take off the speed strip displays NO VSPD in yellow, but all of the speeds have been set in the FMC. During flight the altituse swings wildly, but with an upward trend. If I turn off flight director and try to set the altitude and speed the autopilot does not follow my requests, despite the settings being displayed in magenta.I'm sure I'm doing something fundemtally wrong. Can anyone help?ThanksChris

Guest Hawkeyeted

Lets start with the Vspeeds. Though they may have been calculated in the FMC, you have to confirm them by pressing each speed LSK until the speeds are in large bold font.Gates are just places holders and serve no real function in the FMC, other than procedural protocol. (Limitaion of FS9 not PMDG!)Finally, LNAV and VNAV:-Prior to take-off, arm LNAV and VNAV (buttons illuminate). Alternatively (and in some cases, most realistically), you can simply put the runway heading in the MCP instead of arming LNAV. At lift off, the Queen will hold the heading vice LNAV. This will allow for a vectored departure if required.-Advance throttles to about 70% N1 and allow them to stablize. Then press the TOGA. Watch for the FMA to announce "HOLD". (Thats how you know that the A/T is active). Once airborne, at about 400 ft, engage the autopilot (CMD L, C, or R. Your choice.)This should get you flying right!

Guest chrisdb

That's great, ik works OK now. Thanks very much.

Guest samrec

I don't know if my problem is related or not.But I get airbone just fine.Plane will turn on the first nav point but them fail to continue with the FP as program. the main display will remain pointing to the nav point I just flew by and of course the distance to it will increase.If I turn lnav off and adjust the heading manually and then lnav again the plane will turn to that first nav point.I'm using FSNAV to plot the FP and to export it to 737 format as usual.Thanks for any help here.