Sign in to follow this  
aerdt

PMDG 737 Suggestion

I was just wondering... what keeps PMDG from releasing ANY version of the 737?...most of the systems are already modelled, so I'd think they would "only" need some panel textures, updated flight dynamics and exterior model and *zip* you have a 737-500? Or am I over-simplifying this?Just from a business perspective, this should be something to accomplish without reinventing the wheel.Just a thought. I might be completely naive on this.Pat

Guest iain williams

Yes I like the 737. In fact I prefer flying the 737 to the 747...Iain

Well, that why I asked. Most of us seem to fly short/medium-haul. I would love to get PMDGs 747. I have read all the reviews and I am sure it's an amazing plane, but I simply don't do long-haul sitting 8 hours following a purple line...

Guest iain williams

Good point. Personally, I haven't the time to sit for 8 hours let along 4 hours in from of a PC - short hall for me....Iain

Guest andyman

Feelthere is almost done with their 737 classic series, weather radar and everything. It's in beta and they claim that they cant add any more features. it has the 300-400-500

>all the reviews and I am sure it's an amazing plane, but I>simply don't do long-haul sitting 8 hours following a purple>line... and I don't do either. There are plenty of 744s in real life operating 2-3 hours hops. And even if there weren't any - nothing would prevent me from using it on short hops. Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

I agree, you can fly the 747 anywhere in FS, but an unrealistic route would (for me) defy the purpose of an ultra-realistic aircraft. I mainly fly Europe and in the US and there are simply no 2-hour-legs for the 747. I am not flying elsewhere, because then I'd have to fly a ultra-realisic plane with the 'mjeh' default scenery. All my shiny (and very expensive) scenery and airports are for Europe and the US.I know, I am just being difficult ;-)Pat

"only" some panel textures?Are you joking?The older models look and fly quite differently, have completely different panel instrumentation and engine performance figures, etc. etc.

I am aware that the panel instrumentation is different, but a lot of exiting gauges can be recycled/adjusted to fit a -500, for example, with a lot less effort than having to reprogram everything from scratch. Same goes for the 3d exterior model and many other details. The effort to produce anther version shouldn't be as massive as coding everything from scratch, no?Pat

Not AS massive, maybe only another 75% of the work.

Pat,it's not as easy as you suggest. EVERYTHING would have to be done from scratch, with the exception of the external model, which would still require a lot of tweaking on wings, pylons, engines, landing gear, etc. The flight model would need to be redone, and the time required to redo the VC, 2D panel etc., would be extensive. Right now there are no plans on doing the 737-400/500 series.

Guest ntsmith

Similar thought to mine today. I was wondering if they have thought of doing the 747-200 etc as there sureley is a lot less work to do than starting from scratch with a new airoplane every time. And every one they do could be that much more sorted out than its predecessors which would make them simply superb.Kind regardsNigel Thomas-Smith