Sign in to follow this  
Guest castleberg

Landing with PMDG 737

Guest castleberg

Hello I turned back to PMDG 737 and after 10 manual landings I decided to make an autoland just to be able to enjoy the approach onto Chicago Midway a little more. I hit VOR/LOC at the MCP. Perfect capture. As I was 1 dot below the glideslope I hit APP on the MCP and the GS-Mode on the PFD's Mode Anunciator showed G/S, first grey, then green. Captured. After the diamonds were perfectly centered I hit the second autopilot. Shortly after that, the message Single CH on the PFD disappeared and a green CMD appeared. VOR/LOC and G/S were indicated as green modes on the PFD. Everything went ok but the yellow light on the APP-button extinguished to my surprise. The autoland worked perfect. But why does the APP-button light go out??? Is this normal or some fault??Thanks a lotTom

It's normal for the PMDG bird. I don't know if it's faithful to the real thing.

Tom,This is exactly as it should, even in the real world. The light on the MCP mode buttons are only there to tell the pilots that if lit they can cancel the mode by pushing the button. If not lit then no cancellation is possible. For APP you have to either go G/A or disconnect A/P and both F/D to get out of APP mode.Hope it helps,

Guest castleberg

Thank you very much, guys. Appreciate your fast and competent answers. RegardsTom

Write this down.To determine what AFDS and AUTOTHROTTLE modes are armed or engaged you must refer to the FMA (Flight Mode Annunciator) on the PFD, not what buttons are illuminated on the MCP. Many new 737NG pilots make this mistake.You'll notice the FMA is divided into three sections. The left side of the FMA is the AUTOTROTTLE engaged/armed mode, the middle is the ROLL engaged/armed mode and the right side is the PITCH engaged/armed mode.Just below the FMA is the Autopilot and Flight Director System Status.Floyd

Try that on another 737 (any) and see if it does that ;D. Also, try pushing the 2ND A/P BELOW 800' and see what does not happen... Ah and I DO know what happens on the real thing..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|