Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

Manual Landing in the 737 series

hi allhow many of you land the AC, your 737 manually? and if so from what distance away from the field do you disengage AP, do you also disengage the A/T?rgds

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

yes but what distance? how many DME from the field and at what altitude?

Guest neeraj.pendse

I land in manual each time, and when I turn off the AP depends very much upon how enterprising I am feeling that day- occasionally 10,000 feet (20 nm?). I always turn off the A/T also. However, if I am in really bad weather, I leave the A/T on so I have fewer things to do.When not using Autoland, it is typical to disengage at 500 feet (which would be 1-2 miles out)- Neeraj

oh thanks for thatwow Randy i saw your video very nice, is that addon next to the ap with the trees coming in to land?Also i liked how you can see people moving in the airport when you at the gate.

Guest aarskringspier

>oh thanks for that>>wow Randy i saw your video very nice, is that addon next to>the ap with the trees coming in to land?>>Also i liked how you can see people moving in the airport when>you at the gate.FlyTampa Chicago Midway.

Almost always. Hardly surprising since I fly a lot into fields that have no ILS and in fact I'm lucky if there's a published DME Arc approach :)AP disconnect usually at 2-3000 feet over field elevation, something like 15-25nm out.

Always. I turn off the A/T after reaching about 10,000 ft, but let the AP handle the altitude until establishing the localizer and gear flaps set, then I take over. I actually let the AP do one approach until 200 ft AGL after having a go-around due to a very gusty and tough crosswind. but that's one time out of at least a hundred approaches. Mike

Guest gremel

On Nov. 07th of this year, I spent 2 hours in a 737NG-700 real simulator and was told that most real pilots wait until 1,000 feet AGL before disengaging the A/P. I also disengaged the A/P at 1,000ft AGL after the aircraft is stabilized on final and the V/S descending at approx. 700ft/min. and A/T holding Vref + 5....I attempted and completed 4 landings using this method and had no problem whatsoever in maintaining a stabilized approach and landing on all 4 attempts. Anybody who thinks they cannot fly this aircraft in a real simulator after practicing on the PMDG737 NG software after reading the manual and following the proper procedures and techniques are blowing smoke up your ***.This sim kicks butt and is as real as it gets. The only thing you are missing is the actual feel of the real yoke and locations of the actual Autopilot disconnect switch and trim buttons. 'Yoke Manufacturers' have to work real hard to get these functions & the cost down to an affordable level. The CH yoke which is good but no match to the real thing should be redesigned to incorporate these features with a realistic tension and placement of the real disconnects and trim functions of the real thing. AT Flypfc.com, you will probably see the best yokes and throttles available but they are not cheap....CH products could probably take a significant portion of this market away if it's developers designed and sold a half-way acceptable realistic yoke that characterizes the functions of the 'real yoke' when it comes to the autopilot disconnect switch and the dual trim functionality rockers that depict what a real yoke is truly like....Just my 2 cents but the only thing totally lacking in the PMDG 737NG is a little more software updates and a whole lot more advancement in YOKE design and THROTTLE functionality. Are you listening out there??? PMDG rules.....Hardware updates are archaic at best and need a whole lot of attention....Regards,noullet

hi gremelthanks for this information, i like to do whats in the real world and this is very informativehowever can you tell me at what stage does the captain disengage the A/T?

Guest gremel

When I was with my instructor pilot in the real simulator, he said that most pilots keep the A/T engaged until approx. 50 ft. If you leave them on and fly the a/c onto the rwy, the A/T will automatically disengage approx. 2 seconds after touchdown. This is going from memory though so I might be off a little on the 50 ft etc. but they do disengage automatically by themselves. I left them on and they automatically disengaged by themselves within the 2 sec. magin after the main's touched down.You can automatically disengaged them yourself before the main's hit by pushing a button on the side of the A/T. The button is on both sides of the dual throttle handle so the co-pilot, if flying as the PF instead the PNF, can disconnect them from his side using his left hand on the throttles.As I have said before, if only there were a realistic "yoke and throttle" set designed for the 737NG, that company could make a whole lot of money since the NG will be with us for a very long, long time. Updates to the existing 737NG software by PMDG would also be a very good move. This aircraft & it's software already rules the sky...Without it, I could not have done what I did in the real Sim.Regards,noullet

Hello Gremel.I was very pleased to read your post and see that we can impress real world instructors out there after having flown a couple years of PMDG. I'm looking for somewhere here in Brazil where they let civillians use level-D sims just for fun but so far no luck. Do you might telling me how you got yourself hooked up to that sim session and where it is? I'm interested because if it anywhere near my future vacations destinations I might try it out as well. Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to have the same experience.Best Regards,Victor Limahttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Guest neeraj.pendse

Gremel,Can you tell us where you did this?- Neeraj.