Sign in to follow this  

Xplane

I hate to ask here ,but have just been to the xplane forum to have a read and,what a scary place that is !I am thinking of trying Xplane and am wondering if it is any diferant to ms flight sim or has any person tried it and finds it to be nice to have as also msfs 2002 like as in addition too :)Alpha

Make sure you try the "demo" since it's free. You can use pause & make all adjustments before using the 5 minute time limit. It will even go past that, but a joystick/yoke will no longer work.On my CPU, the sim is very fluid & the mountain scenery has a glossy photo look to it. Although it's mostly repeating tiles, it still looks good for low level buzzing in the F-15. Still havn't decided whether I'd ever buy it though!L.AdamsonAthlon 1900XPGeforce3Ti500

It's been a couple of years since I tried it.... Until FS2002 came along, I felt it gave FS stronger competition as it was so smooth and fluid. As for the flight modeling it is famous for, I find FS2002 close enough with some of the fine flight model updates.... Probably the biggest difference though is scenery. Even with the newest xplane screenshots, I prefer FS2002's scenery over all other sims. With our recent ability to update landclasses, and the photoreal coverage like that found in the new Oshkosh scenery, I'm very satisfied with FS2002's scenery, and scenery potential.If you enjoy simming in general, you still might get enjoyment out of xplane... I tend to appreciate trying a sim for what's different, and xplane's demo is good enough that you'll get an understanding of that. You may find something you like that gives you a nice break from FS2002's environment from time to time.-John

Thanks Guys ,I was just making sure it is a long time to download a demo from here ,but I guess I tries all the others and this looks like maby a break from Serious flying to maby have a bit of fun without the worry of Downloading and painting and aranging folders,....... lolAlpha xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest Moghdad

I thought about trying the demo but I had to laugh when I heard you could only fly for 5 minutes. It must be joke! Imagine spending three hours downloading the demo on my 56k modem, then not even having time for a takeoff and landing!

I just bought it myself and downloaded all of the free world scenery (2 gigabytes!! - eek). I am am MSFS fan first, but XP isn't so bad either. I have completely fluid framerates even with the scenery. The scenery has a long way to go though to catch up with MSFS. At any rate, I have been having the most fun with helo's in Xplane. I am assuming that the flight modeling is accurate based on what everyone says and geez, helo's are very hard to fly and keep stable. Once I got the hang of it and remember to keep "small moves" in mind, I can fly for a while and feel like I won a game or something, ha. Anyway - I agree to try the demo before spending the 80 or 100 bucks depending on how much scenery you buy with it. Here are a couple of shots with the scenery. Note the one with the Huey - that car and truck down on the road are moving in the sim. There are a variety of cars and trucks that drive around - police cars, vans, trucks, etc.

Ha - neither would I. I see that quite a bit and am not sure if it is a scenery conflict with the add-on scenery, or simply a bug.

Just to finish up,I have just been trying Xplane and it has many good points .It does not feel as home as fs2002 but i Love the traffic on the roads that is brillient makes you want to follow it :)The setting up is hard but the motion is great no problems in settings to full.It woud never replace fs2002 but it does have some things i would love to see in the next release 2004I think Xplane is a really nice change and real good fun and I liked it better than flights unlimited and Fly2 and I think Fs2002 is the Best of all .......but I do love the road traffic :)Sorry to have made this topic but I love to try new things :)Alpha xxxxxxxxxx

MoghdadActually you can fly the demo for as long as you want using the autopilot. As for landing just get the plane on final and save. Then you can restart x-plane, load the save, and land.David