Sign in to follow this  
Guest ceranes

Use of the FMC and ATC instructions

Guest ceranes

Hello fellow flight-simmers! I was recently conducting a flight from PHKO (Kona, HI) to PHLI (Lihue, HI) in an attempt to imagine myself in a warmer environment. After reading through the downloadable .pdf file on programming my FMC, there is an area which I'm a little confused on. The last leg I programmed into my route was one specific intersection on a victorway. Normally I program the destination airport there. This time I decided I would use that intersection and then follow-up with the arrival. After receiving vectoring instructions from ATC to decend and turn this way and that way, I decided I would cancel IFR and proceed with the route as planned. I listened to the ATIS for PHLI and discovered they were using the ILS 35 approach. I proceeded to program the arrival into the FMC with the NAPUA (last intersection) as a transition. Is there a way to program altitudes and speed restrictions for each intersection in the approach and have the autopilot follow them to a tee? Normally I would use the LVL CHG and SPD buttons to control my decents following the vectors. Can you program the approach ahead of time and have the plane decend when told to automatically without any intervention from you, the pilot?Thanks in advance,ChrisHolt, MI

Guest brettdonahue

Hi Chris,Yes there is, all you do is enter want you want on the Right side of the FMC. Example, I am landing in Guam (PGUM) and at waypoint HAMAL I want to be going 200knots and be at an altitude of 6000' would first click on the LEGS button of the FMC and then simply enter into the scratch pad200/6000and then click the right side of the FMC that HAMAL is listed on. So if HAMAL is at 1L I would click 1R after updatng the new information. You also must click again the execute button to make your changes apply. Also when you do this, all future points in your plan will reflect the slower or faster speed. Word of caution try not to make huge changes in speed or altitude that the plane will have a hard time to make. Example, don't change 6000' in 2.5 miles.Bretthttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Guest ceranes

Thanks for the help Brett. Where were you flying to Guam from? If my memory serves me correctly, Guam is out in the middle of nowhere, like Hawaii is. I haven't figured the fuel for the 737 yet so I'm not sure how far you'd get on it's load. This past May I flew out there myself from KSFO and it was an ungodly long flight. Especially when you're cramped up inside a 757-200.Anyway, thanks again for the help.ceranesHolt, MI