Sign in to follow this  
Guest hellcat29er

PMDG 737NG

Guest hellcat29er

Hi All,I have a few questions regarding the AC. I have noticed while in flight, that the A/C does not keep the exact heading requested IE (HDG 270 requested, but AC flies at HDG 257) And while on an ILS approach this evening to KIAH 15R, I almost flew short of the runway because the approach mode wouldn't correct to put the plane on the correct glide slope with the runway....not sure what could have happened (maybe wind and the ATC assigning an incorrect runway approach??) I haven't attempted to use the FMC that's included with the plane (yes, I realize I'm missing a lot) but it's far too confusing for me. I tried to read the manual's How To on it but I got lost, so I just use MSFS's flight planner :-. Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance :)Brandon StollKVCV

Guest brettdonahue

>Hi All,>>I have a few questions regarding the AC. I have noticed while>in flight, that the A/C does not keep the exact heading>requested IE (HDG 270 requested, but AC flies at HDG 257) And>while on an ILS approach this evening to KIAH 15R, I almost>flew short of the runway because the approach mode wouldn't>correct to put the plane on the correct glide slope with the>runway....not sure what could have happened (maybe wind and>the ATC assigning an incorrect runway approach??) I haven't>attempted to use the FMC that's included with the plane (yes,>I realize I'm missing a lot) but it's far too confusing for>me. I tried to read the manual's How To on it but I got lost,>so I just use MSFS's flight planner :-. Any help is>appreciated and thank you in advance :)>>Brandon Stoll>KVCVHi Brandon,I will try to shed some light on some of your questions but by means I am certainly not a pilot. As far as the difference between heading and things it would be safe to assume that this is due to wind. An A/C flies with respect to the wind and not the ground. Sounds confusing but imagine wind that goes due east across the ground and you want to fly due north. Sure all you would do is put 0 degrees in the heading and off you go. But the thing to consider is that the wind is moving due east so you are not actually flying straight north relative to the ground unless the plane compensates for drift. Again when flying in air the ground is not relative to your plane because you are not moving on the ground but rather in air. (Phew enough of the head stuff) Onto the other questions, in order for you to get that bird lined up with the runway there are a few things that I have noticed that have seemed to mess things up a little bit. So if you are new to simming and this gets confusing, let me know and I will try to be more elaborate. 1st I have noticed that some downloadable sceneries or airports will mess with the layout of the runways. In a sense, the AFCAD (the SIM file that "is" your airport) will not align correctly with default FS9 navigation points. I have this problem with Guam airport (PGUM) the ILS runway is actually shifted so that I always have to do a manually landing because if I autoland I am slighty off the center of the runway. 2nd In the 737NG you can do an autoland without using the FMC, here is what I would do...1) Make sure that you course is set to the runway degree.2) Make sure that both VOR1 and VOR2 are tuned to the ILS frequency of the runway that you are trying to land on.3) Try and be lined up with your runway at least 20 miles out and maybe even around (I am guessing at this) about 6000' this should give you plenty of time to adjust things if something happens.4) Make sure that on your Main Panel (the one with the all the numbers and things... speed, HDG and such) that both VOR switches are in their up position.5) At about 1600' I usually press the APP button and make sure that all of the other autopilots are engaged. You need these other ones turned one so that can control your flare (that last minute pull up so your plane gently lands on the rear wheels)At this point you should see some happy things happening on your displays. Also make sure that you get you speed down to about 157 and flaps 25, this seems to be the charm for me. This will make for a smooth landing even if you are loaded still with fuel. Also if you are using the Autothrottle when you are landing make sure that you turn it off at about 50' (I usally pause the sim to do this) and make sure that you have your joystick throttle to 0. You should also have the autobrakes set. By killing the throttle this will give you a gentle glide onto the runway. Bretthttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Re: Autothrottle disconnectIt was noted on the old forum and I did experience that on disabling auto throttle only #1 throttle lever returns to the throttle control. I use FSUIPC's function mapped to a key to restore syncing both to my throttle control.I have both NG products installed via CD and CD service pack.The other option is to use the E-1-2 fast sequence to restore control to both.It was interesting on landing and roll-out before this was called to my attention.

Guest hellcat29er

Thank you for the responses guys. Brett,I do have a question going back to the heading and the wind which is what I guessed was going on (this is my first real add-on that's realistically designed, so yeah, I'm new to the simming.) Back to the question, so in order for me to be on the correctly assigned heading, depending on wind, should I compensate by adjusting my heading over the assigned heading against the wind until it's at or atleast close to the heading? I know the ATC doesn't require me to correct since it's not THAT far off...and back to the landing, can the wind also have the same effect on runway heading on the auto land without those VOR's set or even with the VOR's set? I didn't have my VOR's set when I did these landings, I just plug in the ILS frequency to the NAV1 and let it go from there usually but maybe I should look into getting the VORs as well...I hope there's a way I can get those without SIDS/STARS, maybe on the Navigation map page diagram for the airport?? I also noticed like you said, Flaps 25 seems to be the magic number...I can't use full flaps if my life depended on it at the 150kts speed. >>Hi Brandon,>I will try to shed some light on some of your questions but by>means I am certainly not a pilot. As far as the difference>between heading and things it would be safe to assume that>this is due to wind. An A/C flies with respect to the wind>and not the ground. Sounds confusing but imagine wind that>goes due east across the ground and you want to fly due north.> Sure all you would do is put 0 degrees in the heading and off>you go. But the thing to consider is that the wind is moving>due east so you are not actually flying straight north>relative to the ground unless the plane compensates for drift.> Again when flying in air the ground is not relative to your>plane because you are not moving on the ground but rather in>air. (Phew enough of the head stuff) >>>Brett>>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg