Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

A Question on IFR flight...

When I fly IFR, the ATC always sends me off in the wrong direction, especially when I get close to the airport I'm supposed to land at. I just want everything to be as realistic as possible. I don't want to fly a 747 on VFR. ;) Am I doing something wrong to make it this way, or is it just another flaw in the FS2002 ATC system?

Are you sure that ATC is not just vectoring you for the approach? Obviously approach control can't send you straight at the airport unless you're perfectly alligned with the landing runway. I've had FS send me 10-15 miles past the field before turning me back in on occasion. Yes, there have been cases where an aircraft has 'vanished' from ATC but I've not heard reports on this forum of it happening to anyone consistently. Also, it is perfectly normal for a 747 to fly a visual approach. At many airports this is standard procedure so as to be able to fit more aircraft operations per hour in, so feel free to cancel IFR if you have a better approach. ;) -Rob

just to be picky:a visual approach is an IFR clearance:you will not cancel IFR:a e.g. 747 will never be VFR.for FS ATC:don't cancel IFR but request a visual approach

Guest gasebah

Hi y'all,If you want to make it as realistc as possible I recommend flying all your flights VFR.I have flown with ATC for quite a while know and in the end I was frustrated enough to make all my flights VFR because in the end it is more realistic than flying with FS2002 ATC and IFR.1. You cannot use Sids or Stars.2. When you enter a 40 mile radius FS2002 ATC is zig zagging you to a pre calculated approach course that has nothing to do with your flight plan. Most of the time the vectoring is totally ridiculous and has absolutely nothing to do with reality.3. The top of descent of the MS ATC is calculated way too late most of the times, to make it safe and economic.4. You cannot request another FL. ATC lets your small Cessna fly directly through a thunderstorm. Although MS flight plans do not allow for step climbing. For example on longer flights with the heavys you cannot simply start climbing to your CRZ altitude. You have to loose some fuel first. No way to manage that with MSATC.For some time I helped myself with the following workaround.Start your fligt IFR. When you are handed over to the center where your descent is scheduled do not contact them, only tune them. Make your approach until align with the runway. Then contact center again. When you are within the boundaries of your flight plan ATC will not cancel your flight plan but clear you for landing. Today I am only using the ATC because I want to see all those nice PAI planes. But I am flying mostly VFR even with my Dreamfleet 737.Until FS2004 comes along I will leave it that way. Because flying IFR under MSATC is far more unrealistic than flying a decently planned flight under VFR.Cheers,ALex