Sign in to follow this  
Guest VikingR1

Clarify license agreement

Guest VikingR1

I'm wanting to know the legality of installing the 747-400 software on two machines. According to the license agreement it states:4. Restrictions on Use. Licensee may physically transfer the SOFTWARE from one computer to another, provided that the SOFTWARE is used on only one computer at any one time. Licensee may not electronically transfer the SOFTWARE to multiple computers over a network system. Licensee may not distribute copies of the SOFTWARE or accompanying materials to others. Licensee may not modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works based on the SOFTWARE or its accompanying printed or written materials.I understand this to mean that I can legally install it on both my workstation and my laptop but I can only use it on one of the these machines at a time. Is this correct?

Guest VikingR1

Doesn't PMDG monitor these forums?

>Doesn't PMDG monitor these forums? Yes. Have you tried emailing them? I'm sure you would get a faster response that way.

>I understand this to mean that I can legally install it on>both my workstation and my laptop but I can only use it on one>of the these machines at a time. Is this correct?Correct. If you own 5 homes, 2 PCs in each you can have 10 installations. But the idea is that this is for your own use - not for you and your 9 nephews ;)Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

If you own 5 homes, 2 PCs in each you can have 10>installations. But the idea is that this is for your own use ->not for you and your 9 nephews ;)And 10 validations would not be a problem??

That is how I read it. Technically it could be argued that you're not allowed to have it installed on more than one machine at a time, and that you're not allowed to transfer the installer over your home LAN (but putting it on CD and putting that into the CD drive on the other PC would be allowed).

>I understand this to mean that I can legally install it on>both my workstation and my laptop but I can only use it on one>of the these machines at a time. Is this correct?Yes it is.In fact this is the case was almost ALL software you can buy.Games, Applications, FS-Addons you name it...Technically you are only buying a limited license with all these that grants you the use on 1 computer at the time.However some license agreements speak of simultaneous use, so that would still allow you to have it on two or more systems as long as they are not being used at the same time.Example: You can have it on your laptop and PC as long as only you are using them and no one else is going to use the program at the same time you do it on another computer.That means no lending, no giving away copies to friends etc...All this said and done you can reserve your own judgment of how many people actually adhere to these restrictions. And I don't speak of private or professional software piracy, I simply speak of people who have multiple copies of the same program in one house for simultaneous use without having multiple licenses.

You'll have to wait for an official answer, but I'm fairly certain you're ok installing it on your personal laptop...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest VikingR1

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think of the validation issue of course would be a problem.