Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

New CH USB Yoke, need help...

I am loving this yoke, but I would REALLY love it if I could find a way to assign the keyboard numbers "1" and "2" to a button(s) on the yoke. That way, I won't have to reach for the keyboard to acknowledge an ATC instruction. I don't see how I can do this. Can anybody help?Thanks

You need to install the Control Manager software from the CD. Alternatively, download the latest version from their web site. You will be able to program the buttons to do whatever you want.Doug

I just wrote you an epic reply - I've been through all this and can advise you accurately - but my browser jammed on me after twenty minutes of writing. I'm not going to type it all again ... but if you'd like to be talked through it, call me tomorrow sometime on 1-516 922 3615. That's if you're in America - that's a New York number.By then you may have a post from someone else, but my typing finger has given up!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

I don't think there is a way, unless you go into files. All the atc runs off the numbers above the letters. If you look at the settings in MS, there is no mention of atc. I've found I don't have enough buttons for what I want to do. I'm fortunate in that I can keep my keyboard right next to my yoke so reaching for the numbers isn't to bad. :-wave Ron from behind the Cheddar Curtain. :-wave

Mark "Dark Moment"Thank you for attempting a reply that will help me. It appears that I have walked into a nightmare. I downloaded and installed Control Manager, and now I am lost. All this to add the functionality of two keyboard keys to the yoke!If you don't mind, I would love to call you this evening if your offer to walk me through this is still good. I am on the east coast, too.Thanks,Mike

<<<<<<>>>>>>You do not surprise me. It's about as clear as Los Angeles air. Yes, pick up the phone, no problem. I have my radio comms set up on my yoke with keystrokes assigned, it can be done; but it's confusing the first time.Call after 9 if you would, when my 2-year old co-pilot is abed.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Guest gasebah

Hi Mark,I tried the same again today, only to give up after a lot frustration and unintsall the CH stuff and reinstall the choke and rudders under XP.Result: the buttons do not work correctly anymore.I would really appreciate if you could gor through the effort to explain all the stuff in written form. Pleeeze. Iguess a lot of people here would appreciate that as the Choke and rudders frm CH are used by so many people.Alex

OK, how can I refuse, gentlemen? You're right .... even my experimental efforts might help somebody, I suppose ... I'll try to keep it short and simple ...The CH yoke is totally programmable from within FS2002 if you do not wish to assign buttons that are not recognised FS2002 key strokes in the FS2002 'Assignments' library. For all I know, you can create new ones, but I haven't worked out how within FS2002 itself; in fact, I haven't tried. My point is, however, that for regular use you can forget the CH Control Manager. Your yoke will appear under 'Options/Controls/Assignments' as 'CH Pro Yoke USB' or equivalent. Pick any recognised command and you can assign it to any button on your yoke. Save, and this configuration should then be remembered for all future start-ups. I say 'should', as FS2002 has a funny way of resetting itself occasionally. What's more, even within 'Assignments' watch FS2002 doesn't change the choice of input device half way through your programming. It seems to do that too sometimes. Let's move on, though.If you want to program non-recognised key strokes - I use a button on my yoke for Roger Wilco radio transmissions - then you DO need the CH Control Manager. Don't use the one on the installation disk, PARTICULARLY if you use Windows XP - go to www.chproducts.com, download the latest version and install that, with a link on your desktop close to your FS2002.To program your buttons, start CH Control Manager before booting FS2002. Create a new 'map'by hitting 'Clear Map' on the menu, and then 'Add device'. Pick your yoke (and pedals, as necessary) off the list. A pretty picture appears of your yoke. Now ....Hover your mouse precisely over the first button that you want to program on the yoke. Click on its image. A menu will appear to the right. DESELECT 'DirectX Mode'. You then have the option of selecting any key stroke by entering it in 'Normal' and/or 'Shifted' action. I, for example, simply use 'LCTL' (left CTRL) for my radio transmit button on Button 2. Do the same for any other non-standard buttons. Then DO NOT program all the rest. Save the map, 'enable' it, and quit the CH Control Manager.Now start FS2002. Open 'Options/Controls/Assignments'. If you previously had found your 'CH Pro Yoke USB' there and programmed it, you will now be surprised and horrified (I was certainly confused) to find that it has gone, and been replaced by 'CH Control Manager Device 1'. Don't panic, this is your new 'mapped' yoke being recognised by FS2002. Just a funny way of saying it. Program it as usual, but make sure that the buttons you programmed for it under CH Control Manager have NO assignments under FS2002. Save your changes. That's it.Now that you have programmed your yoke two ways, you will need to load your programmed 'map' by starting CH Control Manager (after any reboot or computer start up) and enabling the map BEFORE starting FS2002. This way, the 'map' you created within Contol Manager overrides the default map within Fs2002. So, to recap: if you start CH Contol Manager first, the yoke appears within the program as 'CH Control Manager Device 1'; if you do not, it appears as 'CH Pro Yoke USB', but without the non-standard program buttons you programmed.Bear in mind that with external programs such as Roger Wilco, you do of course have to program whichever keystroke you chose for your yoke button as your transmit key within Roger Wilco itself. As said, I use LCTL which seems to pose no conflicts and works a treat. Whichever keystrokes you choose clearly must be related somewhere else to whatever they represent. You can't just pick strokes out of thin air.I think this covers it for the moment; I've tried to keep this short so that you can come back with questions - or better men than I can add points to this thead - if I have missed something fundamental.Have a crack at it and let me know how you get on. Magnew, this may save you a call - I hope so, but feel free in any case.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

I will try this out the moment I get home tonight. What you describe seems very simple, I wonder why the User's Guide couldn't be as helpful as your instructions.One question: I do not yet have the CH rudder pedals, but I will eventually. Will I have needed the Control Manager eventually anyway to run both the yoke and the pedals together? Many thanks again,MikeP.S. If you do not hear from me by 9:01, then all is well!

Guest gasebah

Thx a lot Mark. I did as I was told, but lost the toe brakes underway. Other than that everything works fine. I want to have them back....Alex

MikeYou can run both yoke and pedals within FS2002 without using CH Control Manager if you require no special buttons. All regular flight controls are set as default, and programmable also, within FS2002.I run yoke and pedals, and joystick with those pedals, all programmed within FS2002 and operating concurrently; except when I need my RW for multiplayer or online ATC, when I simply boot my special 'map' from Control Manager first, as described above.AlexSorry to hear you can't stop! You'll find them ....Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

now my yoke works exactly like I want it to! Mark, you are the best, and I appreciate your efforts. I even downloaded and installed the CH Start thingy, so I don't have to enable my map each time I start up, and even that works great.Thank you, thank you, thank you.Now my mission for the weekend is to find a computer desk that I can have both my yoke and keyboard functional at the same time, so I don't have to unscrew the yoke from my desk each time I want to type an e-mail.Thanks again!

Staples, adjustable platform, should be less than $100.Glad you're sorted. Sadly Alex seems to have lost patience and has posted a new thread on this elsewhere, but no doubt he'll also work it out soon enough. He's correct, though, that CH stuff ain't too user-friendly!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Guest JonP01

Guys,I have to concur. Whilst the CH software is absolutely fanstastic in terms in its's ability to precisely configure a controller, CH really need to take a lesson from MS or Logitech in programming and documenting user friendly software! I don't think I am a dope, but it took me quite a while to figure out how to use it, and I just couldn't make sense of the help files at all :-rollAfter owning a my rudder pedals a few days, I wanted to fine tune them to provide a more realistic feel. I tried every solution known to FS2002 but still couldn't come up with the right "feel". After playing around with the CH software, I was able to find a good setting after a couple of hours and now it only needs very small amounts of fine tuning.One thing I do find about FS2002 and controllers in general is that you really need a specific setup for each aircraft you fly. I just cannot find one controller setting that is comfortable for every aircraft I fly.

configure things so I could also leave my MS Force Feedback joystick plugged into my gameport? I had to unplug it, as MSFS would keep going back to it, even though I was trying to run the CH Yoke.