Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

New CH USB Yoke, need help...

Are you sure MSFS was really going 'back' to it, or just blipping from one to the other within 'Options/Controls/Assignments' as I described can happen in a previous post?I use a gameport stick in parallel with my yoke and pedals without problem. All three appear in the menus, and the stick and pedals work nicely together. I have, however, routed my stick into a USB port through an adapter (19 bucks or something in Radio Shack) simply because my latest computer doesn't have a gameport! (God, I hate those hardware men sometimes).I'd check that. I've disabled my rudder on the stick, of course (don't know many planes that use twist stick for a rudder or steering in any case) and, more recently, have killed the throttle on the stick because of a mild conflict giving performance degradation on torque. But that's no sweat - again, whoever heard of a throttle on the flightstick?Hope you sort it. It can be done, and easily. Gotta keep that stick for your fighters, oldies, helis and Airbuses!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Mark,Thanx for the education. I love it when I learn something new. :-wave Ron from behind the Cheddar Curtain. :-wave

Guest gasebah

Hi Dark,I did not give up yet. I will mess everything up again tonight :-), now that I know how to fix it if I do not suceed.Cheers,Alex

Couple of notes that might be of help. Rename your FS2002.CFG file first. FS will create a new one when you start with the map enabled and it won't have any of your old assignments hanging around. And, if you have to go back, you can restore your current configuration in FS by restoring the old CFG file.The thing that causes the most confusion is that FS knows the names of the FlightSim Yoke and ProPedals and it makes the most common assignments automatically. It doesn't know "Control Manager Device 1" and "Control Manager Device 2" which, as Mark noted, are what you have once you activate the map. It will assign ailerons, elevators, and throttle to the pedals as well as the yoke since it falls back to default assignments for devices it doesn't know by name. Worse, itresponds to either one. Things seem a real mess at that point.The first thing you need to do when you start FS with the map active is go to the Control Assignments dialog, clear the aileron, elevator, and throttle assignments from the Control Manager 2 device (Pedals) and reassign the toe brakes to X and Y, the pedals to Z. If you're using the 3-lever yoke, you'll need to assign the prop and mixture controls to Control Manager Device 1 (the Yoke). Also note that FS tends to zero the sensitivity values for the prop and mixture controls which makes them seem inoperative, so check that.Hope this is of some help.- BobThe StickWorkshttp://www.stickworks.com

Guest gasebah

Hi Bob,seems that this covers exactly the problems I had yesterday. Good advice to let FS2002 restore the cfg. On the other hand I hate to do all the tweaks again by hand.Anyway, I will try this evening.Alex

All good points, Bob, and thanks for elaborating on all this. You've hit on important points that we all discover as we go through this by trial and error, but hopefully this thread will now actually be very useful to CH owners!The only other point I would re-emphasise for our earnest readers, in conjunction with Bob's post, is that as you go through the programming of your various devices and switch between 'Axis' and 'Key Assignment' categories, FS2002 has a nasty habit of resetting the input device selection, so that you think you're programming your yoke when in fact you're making changes to your pedal set-up. Then you can get REALLY confused. Keep a VERY wary eye on that particular drop-down box as you go through this process.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

To all who have been so helpful:I have forwarded this thread to Debby, the sale and marketing person for CH, with a note that she might want to get this into the right person's hands, so they can incorporate it into their instructions, etc.She replied that she would do just that.

Yup, good point. The switching around between the first and second devices does get a little bothersome. I don't know why they do it that way, seems like you should be able to pick the one you want and have it stick. The CM can really be quite useful in FS beyond the occasional character mapping, it just takes a little initial fiddling to get FS and the CM to cooperate. For example (maybe you've tried this already) you can set up the "Shift" function and get 22 buttons on the Yoke USB. Using Button 1 for shift seems to be the easiest, you can hold it and still work all the other buttons. Clear the "DirectX Device" and "DirectX Control" to "None" on Button 1. Next, walk through Buttons 2 through 12 and set their "Shifted Action" boxes to Joystick 1, Buttons 13 through 23. Activate that and Game Controllers will show a 23-button Control Manager Device, buttons 2-12 will work when when button 1 is released, buttons 13-23 will work when button 1 is pressed. You can assign them all in FlightSim and pick up 10 functions on the yoke.- BobThe StickWorkshttp://www.stickworks.com

Guest gasebah

I just remembered that I have FDC on my rig and deep in my mind I remembered that it includes a program called Controller X. I had a look at it. Took me 10 secs to get the 1 and 2 buttons to work as ATC 1 and ATC 2.Now that is userfriendly.More than that you can assign differnt keystrokes to different phases in flight. The phases are enginestart, taxi, takeoff, climb .....E.g. in takeoff phase you could enable TO/GA with button 1 while in cruise you can use it to change views. You can manage that in a few minutes. That is userfriendly. I guess I will never touch this CH software again.Alex

You seem to be good at help in this area. Below is my problem. Do you have any ideas?"CH USB Yoke & CH USB Fighter Stick Throttle Problem." Let me try asking this question another way.When I have both of these devices plugged in the throttle on the Stick will not work with the Bell Helo. It does work with other aircraft. If I unplug the Yoke the throttle works fine on the Bell Helo.Does anyone no of a compatibility problem like this.Thanks in advance to all who reply.Regards!BillP4, 512 memory and XP Home OS