Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

Convair sound problem.....

So far, I've only seen this happen on the convair.....Installed the convair sounds available here on flightsim.com onto the Convair CV580.My problem is that sometimes I hear the startup sound, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I hear the engines start properly, sometimes the starter has no sound at all, and when the engine fires, it's *instantly* running at a completely steady idle as if it's been running idle for awhile before.Any idea what might be causing this?Thanks

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

*bump*

*bump*Is it safe to say that there is no fix, that I'm stuck not hearing startup sounds?

Guest Lizardo

Well,it's a turbo..so build-up of whine then prop noise...(they start them with feathered props..so "swish swish", then "prop")

I know.....When it works, I hear the spool up whine of the engine followed by the engine firing and the props starting spinning.When it doesn't work, it is *completely* silent while the engine is spooling up, and the instant the engine fires, it is *instantly* a perfect engine idle, as if the engine has been running for awhile with the sound muted and just unmuted.So far, the Convair is the only one I've had this problem with in WinXP, but I have seen it in Win98......

Guest tallpilot

Convair 580's don't start with prop feathered. Small turbo-prop engines are but not the Convair. They use air from either an onboard auxillary power unit (APU)or an external air starting cart to turn the engine over so you don't hear a starter engage. In the cockpit it's a relatively quiet start until the engine gets up to low speed ground idle.Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot (Convair Capt in a previuos like) :-)

Same here, if any consolation... However, I never had the start-up whine, even temporarily. Upon start, engines go into full idle. Only thing I can equate this to was the start up of the S340B in FS2k. Used the 'turbo' sound pack, and got the appropriate start sounds. Is a mystery to me, also.Coot KCLE

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....That makes me really wonder if this convair sound package got the sounds reversed.......The startup (when it works) is loud in the cockpit, and relatively quiet on the outside.....Maybe I'll try switching them around and see what it sounds like..... :)

Guest tallpilot

The cockpit of the Convair 580 is loud even with the engines not running.(My diminished hearing after over 4000hrs flying the 580 will attest to that) All the radios and associated cooling fans are located directly behind the pilots and an instrument power inverter also provides considerable noise.Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

This is a known bug with the fs2k2 sound. The first time you start a turboprop engine per session, there will be no start sound. Subsequent engine starts during the session will have the proper sounds.

And just out of curiosity......Is this sound package correct in making the engine noise (not the prop noise) sound somewhat like a piston-powered engine? (but not completely)

That's what I thought, I was just asking in case there happened to be a fix.....Oh well, I got a rather unrealistic workaround for it anyway....... :)