Sign in to follow this  

NOOOOO!!! Out of memory error after the patch

Hi all,Sorry to hear that you are having these issues. I have been going through this for quite some time with LVL-D, PSS and PMDG only at specific airports. Incidentally, VHHH was one of the airports I had issues at everytime prior to running FSM. (FlightSim manager) It DID find LC files and move them and I have never had a problem since.I posted a HUGE thread on the at FS.com, here is the link, it is a good and informative readhttp://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php..._id=18060&page=To sum it up, I found out a few things.Run HeavyLoad and memtest, see the other thread..The pagefile fragments just like any other drive and can even corrupt. Al, I noticed you run your swap on a seperate drive, try this:remove the swap entirelyrebootset the swap to your c driverebootFORMAT the drive your old swap was on. I have my swap on its own partition for this very reasonrebootremove the swap from c/rebootre-create the swap on your newly formatted drive, preferably with the swap on its own partitionThis will blow away a fragmented or corrupt swap file.Next, run that Afcad checker program and scan for duplicate AFCAD. Remove anything other than the UK2000 AFCADs for Heathrow Pro, big problem I found there...and ensure you have no other duplicatesFinally,Run flightsim manager, do a check for Landclass files and scenery.cfg errors.If you do all of this and the checks come clean and you STILL have the issue it is Simflyers. I can not fly any of the above mentioned planes into Simflyers KEWR without the exact same result...You can try changing AFCADS for the airport in question but it has not helped me as far as Simflyers goes. Very unfortunate...One thing I have found, it is almost NEVER just the plane but usually a combination of things. An easy way to check without re-installing is go do a flight in the middle of the desert someplace on a different continent you never fly with all default scenery around. See what happens...Hope that helps,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

>I posted a HUGE thread on the at FS.com, here is the link, it>is a good and informative read>http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php..._id=18060&page=Very interesting post Paul. I'm downloading Heavyload as I write and I'll try step-by-step your tips. I hope this is a light at the end of the tunel. ;) Thank you very much and best regards.Jo

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos

Pedro,I really did find it to be a combination of things, not just any one thing that ended up fixing it. (except for KEWR that still plagues me)You can PM me or e-mail me if you have any questions...Good luck,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Guest Skedflyer

Guys try this,Copy all the AFCADS you have to a folder on your HDD, so that you have no afcads in FS. Fly and test...Also if you fly in NA or Europe allot please try a comparable flight in Asia or another area that you don't frequent allot.... if you find there isn't a mem crash... we have to look at the addon's we have installed.

spyware is definately not a problem, I am not a computer newbie. I run firefox so I don't get spyware and adaware and spybot I run frequently.I will run the memory testI have found pc-cillin to be the best anti-virus, it isn't free, but well worth it.Thanks all for your suggestions, I've wanted to get more memory, up to 2 gbs, and might just get 2 2gb chips if it does turn out to be bad ram.I have run flight sim manager, scanafd, and others numerous times and nothing invalid has shown up.

Unfortunately Alex, the "Your computer has run out of available memory" is a known FS 2004 problem and it will or will not happen. For me When flying West to East from the USA to Europe, I'm fine all the way to the gate. But from East to West, Europe to USA, I almost always get out of memory errors with about an hour or so to go. Which is interesting since I fly over the same scenery on the way there and its fine but flying over the scenery on the way back causes me to run out of memory! This happens with any complex airplane from PSS T7 to PMDG 747 or LDS 767. However, if I fly to Chicago instead of Dulles its fine (since I am not flying over the Northeastern US). BUT if I fly to SFO it run out of memory before I get there....plenty of fuel not enough memory, go figure. The official word from Microsoft in regard to this error in FS 2004 is as such:1 - Change windows page file to custom with zero min and zero max settings to clean it out and begin to rebuild it2 - Reboot 3 - Go back in and verify that it is still set to zero / zero4 - Change page file to System Managed5 - RebootThis will totally rebuild the file. I have recently tried it but haven't tested it yet. I figure Microsoft knows what their talking about right?Anyway, this is not a PMDG, LDS, PSS or any other 3rd party problem. It IS a problem inherent to FS 2004 and totally hit or miss.

Hey Mike,Unfortunately, MS does not know what they are talking about, we all know that :) I assume we are talking XP here. Any good defrag program can verify this for you.If you follow your (or MS procedures) after you set it to 0/0 and then verify, open up a good defrag program like O&O Defrag. You will see the PF has not "completely" been removed. The disk space still shows occupied and indeed if you notice your available disk space, it will not change even after removing a 2 gig swap. You will never reclaim that disk space and then the swap will be built in the exact same space. File fragmentation is a common occurence in this example.The IDEAL way to do it as I mentioned earlier is to have your swap on its own partition. Then you can set the swap on that partition to zero, format the partition and rebuild the swap as often as your heart desires. That is the ONLY way that I know of to COMPLETELY clean out a swap... This also takes into account that if you grow your swap it will always be a continous file swapswapswap opposed to swapdataswapdataswap,Just my .02,-PaulHope that helps

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Paul,I can definitely reclaim the full swap file back.I use however this procedure:1. set no virtual memory2. reboot3. set custom page file: min = 600 MB, max = 1.5 GB4. rebootI have verified numerous times that it fully reclaims the disk space.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest jcomm

Fully agreed from here!I never experienced Out-Of-Mem errors after I started using a swap partition. I have 2GB DDR 400 RAM and a swap partition of 4GB. It's also on a different disk from the one I have my simulator stuff installed in.BTW: I have made a medium range (LPPT - UUWW) flight, with ASV-E feeding the weather and had no problem. The patch works just great for me.Tomorrow I am planning an interesting trial... A parallel flight in two computers, one with PS1.3aEE4 and VisualPS1, with weather fed by ASV-E, and the other in fs9/PMDG744 with weather fed by exactly the same source. Both airplanes will be adjusted in order to match exactly the PERF parameters, and I will take as much notes as possible...Will let you know about my findings as soon as I have the data.

your swap partition is 4 gb, but what is your swap file size? Is it 4 gbs as well?Mine was set to 4096 on a separate fat32 partition, how could I run out of memory???? I have no invalid landclass files, no duplicate afcads, etcWhen I worked as a tester in the software industry I was great at finding bugs, but horrible at figuring out what caused them, that was up to the programmers! Anyway I will continue to test different scenarios including formatting the partition then setting the swap file again and fly KSFO-KLAX, an hour flight, hopefully it will not crash on approach.I do find it interesting though as before the patch my queen crashed while enroute to the same area, around the same location, but all other airplanes fly that route fine. I also had the same crash on route to phoenix from san fran, right as I approached another big city, vegas.Coincidence? I doubt itA problem with my computer? Definately, that is why I will continue to test, I just hope and am sure the programming minds are looking into something that could be the cause of it on their side.

Al, I have the same thing with KEWR. Could it be navdata conflicting with FS??? Just a thought...I am at a loss too...-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Guest Skedflyer

Do you have any add-on scenery installed in that area?

Every place I have crashed with an out of memory or .dll error has been with add on scenery. Seattle with Fly Tampa, SFO Flytampa, LAX KPHX and LAS with Simflyers.There must be a conflict of some sort.I will try the suggestion in the new thread about deleting all the files completely then reinstalling, which is what I will do tonight.

Just finished a 8 hours session FS flight with the 744 vers. 1.10 (compressed the time with sim rate - the flight is about 11.30 hours). The flight was again from EGLL to VHHH, using Heathrow Pro and the freeware scenery of Hong Kong Chep Lap Kok from Thomas Kwong (vhhh2005b.zip). This time I disabled the swap file and I DID NOT HAVE THE OUT OF MEM. ERROR that I had before. I landed, paused, watched the replay many times, from the tower and VC and took screenshots. I Used the recorder module for the replay. Taxied again to the gate and proceed to shutdown procedures. Open the cargos, walked around, watched the traffic and so on.Next time I'll try step by step with other payware add-ons. Best regards and thank you for the tips from all of you in this forum.Pedro LimaPortugal

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos