Sign in to follow this  
RobertRent

Advice please: Which OS for FS2002 - Win98SE or Win XP

I am building a new PC, and I would appreciate any advice as which operating system will provide the better FS2002 experience - Win98SE or Win XP Pro (or, whether or not the operating system even matters).The basic hardware is: Pentium 4 2.26ghz, I845e chipset, 533mhz FSB, 512mb DDR266, GeForce4 Ti4400.Thanks,Robert

Robert - I've done a lot of FS2002 testing with both OS's and have found that Win98SE will run a better framerate in most all situations. But the stability and features of WinXP more than offset that. I'm using a Northwood 2.2a at 2717Mhz (GF4 Ti4400, 512MB Samsung PC800) and Win98SE is always some 8-10% "faster" (FPS) than WinXP Pro. But the sim runs so well on this system that a few more FPS isn't all that important. (If you have both OS's available, you might set it up a dualboot and have both to experiment with.) I still have Win98SE on the system but I no longer use it for FS2002. If you haven't yet tried WinXP Pro, you're in for a real treat. I haven't seen a BSOD in the seven months I've been using it - great stuff! BTW, there's a lot of overclocking headroom on your new CPU. (I'm still using the stock cooling at 2717 and it's stable as a rock - a little warm, but stable :-) ).Trip

Guest KenG

I just upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP Pro the other day. All my devices work well and FS2002 has no problems. I haven't noticed any degredation in performance, but have not reinstalled everything I had before with Win98 (but I have installed most).As others have said, WinXP is superior for the stability, if nothing else.

Just a caution, the way XP is written, with the new evil spyware being digitally signed by Microsoft, you'll need a crowbar to remove it. Anyone willing to pay Microsoft a fee can get a digital signature for their stuff, and XP will simply re-install it if you remove it ... We are really being set up these days, with no protection for OUR rights with the next generation of software.Frankly, having to pay Microsoft additional money to get my OS re-activated just because I had hardware problems and had to re-install a few too many times is not the kind of grief I want considering the price tag on the software.I'm staying on Windows 2000 till hell freezes over, it has all the stability of XP (probably more actually) and none of these added headaches. I'm in control of my computer, not Bill ...Ray

I'm running under 98se without any issues at all. Stability issues are 'nil. My typical session is:Start 2k22 y.o. daughter walks in--close 2k2, open up IE, and pull up the Barney websites, Quicktime videos, etc....Daughter Leaves--Start 2k2Daughter walks in--close 2k2, start Trainsim (she loves it, only reason it still takes up space on my HD--got bored with it too fast)Daughter Leaves--Close Trainsim, start 2k2, and fly realtime PHX to NYC....GPF's? Dr. Watson's? Blue Screens? Don't get 'em...even after repeated launchings of 2k2 and other apps. But I keep my system pristine--no junk on it other than what I need for work and for simming. Truth is, I probably would have upgraded to Win2000 long ago, but my laptop has most of the tools that would require Windows 2000, and 98SE provides better support for a legacy ISA card I have in my desktop which drives my 10yo scanner.So, 98se can be stable.....but.....remember how MS dropped support for Win95 when 2k2 rolled out? The install program wouldn't even work. Well, the same is coming for 98se and ME, unless someone throws the issue into litigation (there are some rather large companies that can't retool overnight and still run 98se on a fair portion of workstations). But give it a couple of more years, and you'll start seeing install programs coded the way 2k2's was, which will abort if they don't see a specific O/S.If it were me, I'd probably go with Windows 2000 at the moment, for the same reason already mentioned. I really feel there are better ways to enforce licensing than those used with XP. On the other hand, 3rd party companies will often code for the latest and greatest O/S. This could cause trouble with 2000 in the future...-John

What would be the purpose, for a gamer who has no network other than cable internet with a router, to go with XP Pro versus XP home edition. Big difference in price. If I don't need the Pro, shouldn't I save the extra money and go with the home edition???

LOL, John! I know the feeling all too well. Seems like you may need one of these ... http://www.swiremariners.com/blue.jpgOn the point of this thread, I never had a problem with Win98SE, but I've not been too happy with WindowsXP. Unexplained freezes that never happened before: it's a memory hog, isn't it? But it's probably just me. I'm an idiot.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Win98 SE here since FS2k never had a problem. I am not a fan of XP I do not like the layout.John

JetLine Systems Gravity GT2-Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit), NZXT H500 Mid-Tower, Black, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI, LGA 1151, Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) 8 Core / 16 Thread, Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Liquid Cooling, 32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz RGB, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 5.1 Channel Realtek Integrated HD Audio, Primary SSD Drive:1TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD), Secondary SSD Drive:2TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD) 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical , SimOn Solutions 737 Professional Compact Trainer (MIP, OH). CFY 737 Max Motorized TQ Gold V3, MSFS2020, ProSim 737. 45" Samsung 4K TV.

Hmmm - I have to disagree with you. I have done a total of 3 re-installations of Windows XP on my computer because of some crappy Turtle Beach software that screws up the ASPI layer. (I could have used system restore - but must be "in control" of my system so I reinstalled). I have never had an issue in reactivating my OS as needed. To add to that, I even called MS for support on the issue and I got through with no hold time and they couldn't have been more helpful. I feel that I have my $90 worth and have no signs of Bill controlling my computer.Oh - and to touch on the original thread question, I would never go back to Win98SE after having XP - solid as a rock.

Guest KenG

Well, I don't have to deal with activation/reactivation. I've got a coporate copy (sure this is a work maching ;-)) and no intrusions whatsoever. The price was pretty nice too ($7).

That shot with the Lear looks so real--reminds me of many a flight I've taken over the humid south... The slight blur to the ground textures looks almost exactly like the thick and humid air one sees flying over the south, or even the midwestern states on a humid day.... Love the theme of the Lear as well :)

As I mentioned in my post, I'd still lean towards Windows 2000 as I have strong feelings over the way licensing is handled in XP. It's not the "big brother" aspect that concerns me, so much as I feel more and more paths and gateways are being opened between each new Microsoft O/S and any entity in the outside world. Given today's common use of high-speed, always on web access, that is a worry for me.I'm also not convinced Microsoft has locked XP down well enough to secure it against hackers, even with today's firewall software. I still receive way too many security bulletins at my office to have that level of comfort, just yet.-John

John ... it's Rick Sasala's version 2 gmax Lear ... with texture modifications by my daughter, with a little help from Daddy. If you'd like the folder, send me your email. I shan't be uploading them.Daughter actually started with her own airline in FS2000 ... that the picture is dated is obvious ...http://www.swiremariners.com/kgbgrace.jpgMark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Guest flightpro08

Windows XP is great. I upgraded from Windows ME about 6 months ago and would never go back.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolTaxiwaysigns.com