Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

Crackling sound after the update

Guest cliffie1931

Since installing the update this morning the 747 sometimes creates a loud crackling sound suffient to drown the engine sounds and consequently I have to end the flight. The flight will start normally and the sound commences at some time into the flight.It's a problem I've not yet encountered and am wondering if my settings should be changed in some manner?Cliff

Guest Robin.B

I think it's been mentioned that this is more of a soundcard/sound memory issue that causes this and it's nothing to do with the actualy airliner.

I have a SB Audigy and also heard this strange and crackling sound a couple of times now. If it's a soundcard problem I find it strange why there were no such problems before the patch?I'm not sure, but in my case it seemed that this crackling sound was related to the thrust setting...guess I'll have to do some more testing to know for sure.

Richard Åsberg

Guest Marc Harrington

Just FYI - None of the sound files were changed except for the high power exterior one. What did change is the volume settings for low interior thrust (e.g. taxi thrust), but that does not impact the quality of the actual sound files.

OK, that's strange Marc - wonder what it could be. Copy what you say about the sound files and that nothing changed really but still something seemed to have changed after the patch because I would find it quite strange if a couple of sound cards would have broke all of a sudden after applying the latest patch.Well, lite I said before - will do some more flying to maybe get better info on what exactly happens and when.

Richard Åsberg

Guest cliffie1931

Marc I too am wondering at the coincidence of the upgrade and the sound problem coming at the same time.I've just made two more flights and the same problem has arisen. I fiddled with the sound setting in the FS9 options facility but it makes no difference.One was in a mid-flight saved situation and another was a new flight soon after take off.The only other change that may have had an effect (although I cannot see why it would be) is upgrading my graphics card a few days ago to a nvidia card with more memory.I described the sound as "crackling" Let me alter it to resemble a cross between static and a single stroke petrol engine. Whatever it is though all other sound is drowned out by it.Cliff

start...run... type "dxdiag" without the " " sGo to the sound section and lower the sound acceleration, that will get rid of the cracking

Guest cliffie1931

Here's an interesting development Alex.1 I followed your advice to "start...run... type "dxdiag" without the "s" and lowered the sound acceleration to STANDARD2. I chose a flight that had displayed the problem and the sound was now normal. 3.I activated the speed brake with "/" When I'd reached the speed I needed I retracted it and...........the noise immediately started.(Perhaps I should mention that I've tried the 737 series but there's no problem with them.)Any other ideas?Cliff

That's interesting info Cliff!But...if the problem really is with the soundcard or with any settings for the sound card...shouldn't the problem be with all a/c then and also with the 747 before the patch?I hope PMDG will manage to see some patterns here or in any other way come up with what might be causing this.

Richard Åsberg

Guest Hawkeyeted

I had a similar problem with the "other" companies 767-300ER after the SP2 install. I simply uninstalled/reinstalled and applied the patch with no further problems.That said, I did the same with the Queen. I completely uninstalled/reinstalled, then applied the patch and haven't had any more sound issues.So, perhaps it's not a OMDG/Queen thing, nor a patch thing. Perhaps its an "patch over" issue on a non-fresh install? Dunno, just throwing out some ideas.

Guest cliffie1931

Also interesting is that I've been problem free for the last few flights including use of the speed brakes...Hopefully the problem is solved......and I thank all of you who have given of your time to help me.Cliff

Hi Ted,Thanks for your tip but I already tried a totally fresh install on the Queen but still this strange sound all of a sudden during flight. Haven't had the time to do much flying though today so I guess I should give it some more time and see what happens.

Richard Åsberg

That's great news Cliff :-) and let's hope the problem won't come back!So...what you did was to lower this sound accelerator setting in dxdiag or did you change anything else as well? And what exactly is this setting, are there any drawbacks lowering it from 'Full acceleration'?

Richard Åsberg

I don't get the crackling sound reported here, but when I raise the landing gear, I get a terrible "static" sound until the gear are up. It does not make the noise when lowering the gear.This is the only aircraft on my system with a sound problem; it is the only application with a sound problem. So, I am not putting any blame on the Sound Blaster card for the time being.Does anyone know which sound file I could remove to eliminate this gear-up noise?Thanks.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077