Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

Crackling sound after the update

Guest jrowsell

>I think it's been mentioned that this is more of a>soundcard/sound memory issue that causes this and it's nothing>to do with the actualy airliner.I have to disagree here. I've mentioned this problem before along with others confirming this problems in previous threads. It only happens to me and also others in the 747-400 Queen. I've had this problem from day 1 with the aircraft (pre-service update). I've got the most up to date sound drivers for my onboard audio (soundmax) for my asus motherboard p4p800s and no luck.The main reason for my disagreement is that all my other addons and I only have a handful (pmdg 737-600 to 900, pmdg 1900c, leveld 767) all work with NO problems. Only get this crackling with the Queen. In my situtation I can really here the crackling and static while in the spot plane view. It is most evident after panning around the aircraft using the hat switch on my USB ch products yoke. I don't think turning down sound acceration is an acceptable workaround. I haven't tried this yet but will try and see if it helps. I don't think I should have to do this for this 1 particular aircraft. I'm am open and willing to help troubleshoot the problem and any suggestions anyone would have would be great. I have re-installed my operating system a couple times and my system is very clean. Hopefully this can get resolved.Again, I just find it really odd that it has only happens with the queen all the other aircraft and previous pmdg aircrafts are fine. Which one would logically conclude that it has something to do with this particular add-on. On a positive note I am a true PMDG fan, I love there quality work and aircrafts. You guys are great! Keep up the fabulous work! I have much respect for PMDG's fine work.Regards,Jeff

Guest cliffie1931

Hi WebMaximus!I changed one setting down to Standard Acceleration and made no other changes. Unfortunately I'm sometimes strapped for time but in the time available I've noticed no drawbacks between the highest setting and "Standard".When I have more time I'll get a better idea and if there's anything interesting I'll let you know.Thanks again for your help.Regards,Cliff

Guest cliffie1931

As Alice in Wonderland said "It gets curiouser and curiouser!"After following your suggestion of START...RUN and typing dxdiag we're presented with a page titled DIRECTX DIAGNOSTIC TOOL.From that page tool I was given the information that there is a problem processing "Direct Play", "Direct show" and "System Information"At this stage I consulted a computer guru friend who suggested I install the latest Driver for my soundcard ("Creative SB Live 5.1")This I did before starting a long flight of about three hours.After reaching the cruising altitude of 35,000 ft with no unusual noises I waited for about half an hour before leaving the flight to carry on without me.When I returned about 45 minutes later two things had happened:1. The noise had returned and2.The FMC had cleared itself of the flight plan while VNAV and LNAV were no longer alight and the Auto light was also off.Any ideas?Cliff

>The main reason for my disagreement is that all my other>addons and I only have a handful (pmdg 737-600 to 900, pmdg>1900c, leveld 767) all work with NO problems. Only get this>crackling with the Queen. This is poor logic to blame software A because something happens in software B and it doesn't happen with software C. Anybody who knows anything about software can tell you that such interactions can be very complex and in no way a proof that some piece of software is to be 'blamed'. Software A can be absolutely within its rights to use some function/feature that software C doesn't use. In other words the sound drivers may never be fully 'excited' by your say LDS767 giving you illusion that all is well with them. I have been long enough in software industry to observe it many times. By the way - another fellow just found a solution to his crackling sound - he posted on this forum yesterday.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

You're right in some regard Michael that there are many dependencies (is that correctly spelled by the way ;-)) between software installed but in this case PMDG said nothing had changed with the soundfiles with this patch more than the volume had been adjusted a bit and hence there shouldn't pop up a problem like this directly after you apply the patch - don't you agree? The very same sound files are used now after the patch that was used before the patch so to me it seems to be something else that changed with the patch and that has an impact on the sound in some regard.I hope PMDG will manage to get an idea what might be the reason for this strange sound problem.

Richard Åsberg

>and hence there shouldn't pop>up a problem like this directly after you apply the patch ->don't you agree? I can't agree with any simplistic rationalization like this - software is just too complex. Some folks had sound problems before the patch, some only after the patch. I know after being in the software industry for over 25 years how futile such attempts at 'rational' explanations can be.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

I think what you guys are experiencing is the new stall protection built in the Queen? Cuz right now on my last test, I had this sound, and I thought "whoa! what the #### is that?". After little bit more testing, I managed to conclude that it's happening when I pull too much stick and basically, it doesn't stall but it puts the aircraft into lesser climb to pick up speed. Kinda nice IMO...

Sounds reasonable to me and agree it's a good thing to have a sound that will almost wake you up from the dead to warn you about an imminent stall ;-) and that would also go hand-in-hand with my impression earlier that the sound in some aspect seemed to be related to the thrust/speed setting.Could PMDG please confirm that it's meant to sound like this when you're about to stall? I checked the sound.cfg to see what file it will play to warn you about a stall and then listened to that file and it might be the same sound but I think it sounds ALOT louder and also more annoying in the sim than it does when just listening to the wave file.

Richard Åsberg

Word Not Allowed is right. The noise appears only when you come close the stall speed. If the speed tape reaches the yellow line you hear this strange loud crackling honk noise. Now it

:-beerchugYep, have to play with this a bit more myself to see it myself and I still think it would feel good to have a confirmation from PMDG that the sound heard in the sim is the sound intended to be heard when reaching stall speed...and also as always striving for 'as real as it gets'...is this really the same sound you would hear in the real a/c :-)?

Richard Åsberg

Patrik et al,Yes there is a stickshaker sound/behaviour added to the model in the patch. I don't know what you hear in the sim so I can't confirm anything you hear. But yes the stick shaker is recorded from a real 744.(There is a real difference between static and the stick shaker IMO)Hope it helps,

Guest Andrea

Similar problem to me: ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with onboard sound processor and SoundMax Drivers. Crackling sound (something like electric "static" shots) expecially in spot view with engines at max power (during takeoff for instance).This phenomenon has appreciably increased after 1.10 update installation. I've tried to change DirectxDiag Sound Acceleration setting and/or FS9 Sound Quality slider but with no appreciable results. It seems to be a problem of "saturation", when the sound is complex and the level is near to 100% or above.Andrea

Guest Senior Captain

The noise is deeper than a static radio sound and yes it only happens on my system when close to stall speed I have done several tests and it is the only time i hear it. A little nose down attitude and Bob's your uncle sound goes away. Very nice PMDG.