Sign in to follow this  
Guest GeoffC

Heading select problem

Guest GeoffC

I posted this in the update thread but received no reply.Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, however I've searched and can't find it. Firstly I'd like to say well done on releasing a very impressive service update, however something does not appear to be here that I was expecting (I think).Since the first release a problem was acknowledged regarding the aircraft turning the wrong way on heading select. I know the workaround, however I thought a fix was being worked on. Was this planned for this update, or has something else been released to address it previoulsy.Apologies if I have missed something, however my forum searches did not answer the question.

Fact is I nor can anyone I know of on the beta or (team) replicate this even after many many trys. It simply cannot be nialed down for a fix to be found. I spent HOURS flying around using HDG SEL only and never once would it turn the wrong way. That's not to say some do not actually see this it's just the people who need to see it don't ;P.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Geoff,The dev team and the beta testers has not been able to logically reproduce the problem. I have been able to get the error to occur but can not see any pattern in it's behaviour. The designer who coded the module has not been able to find anything wrong and has in fact coded the stuff so it shouldn't be able to happen in the first place. To no avail obviously. It is very frustrating for us as we can see the problem but we are unable to smash the darn bug. We are still looking into it though. :-(I know it won't help but hopefully explain,

Hello everyone:I am one of those who had a problem with the heading select function. It occurred when using the mouse wheel (in my case, the scroll portion of the touchpad) to rapidly (and I emphasize rapidly) make a heading change. I haven't encountered this problem since the update. Hopefully I've seen the last of it...Regards,Walter Meier - KPDX

Walter Meier

Gents-As stated above- in order to say we've "fixed" something, we need to find a way to replicate it with certainty. Then we can determine the cause, implement a fix and test to validate the the problem does not recurr.In the case of the HDG SEL triggering a wrong way turn, some of us conducted thousands of turns try attempt to trigger this failure. Although we saw it once our twice- it could not be reproduced.... As such- it appeared to be somewhat contextual.Vangelis did dissect the logic and re-examine every facet of the behavior to find a condition that might cause it- but was unable to say for certain that any condition could trigger such behavior.Since we could not declare that this problem was "found/duplicated/resolved" Vangelis added logic to trap such an event and hopefully prevent it from developing fully. So- you may likely never see it.... or the instance of it will become even more rare than it already is.....But without knowing fact-certain, we aren't going to say it was fixed.....

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest GeoffC

Robert et al,Thanks for the replies and I do undertstand that if it's not reproducable in a logical way it's difficult to do much about it. Personally I can live with it when it happens and I suppose is it good airmanship to observe which way the aircraft turns when you press a given button and respond accodingly.In reality | just thought I had missed some earlier post as nobody mentioned it in the update thread.I haven't installed the update yet, but it looks like a great piece of work, so well done PMDG.

If it occurs, what information can we gather that would help you in troubleshooting this? Personally I've seen this beaviour quite often, probably every second flight, but I can't recall if it also happened after the latest patch... It's happened when I'm switching from LNAV to HDG select and command it to turn left but also when I fly manually, activate HDG select on the current heading and then command the airplane to turn left. I've also seen some other strange things with the HDG function, even after the patch. When I activated HDG select the airplane continued on the present heading although I had dialled in another heading. When it happened I of course suspected that I had pressed HDG hold instead by mistake, so I made sure that I actually pressed HDG Select. I also have the HDG Select function mapped to a button on a goflight module, and it worked as it should before that. Unfortunately I forgot to check which rollmode the FMA said was activated...

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------