Sign in to follow this  
spotlope

Engine Selection Keys - How to make 'em work?

I've searched the forums and found few references to this, which I find a little suprising. In FS2K2, the selection of engines on multi-engine aircraft seems extremely flaky. If keys E-1 are selected in sequence, for example, to select only that engine, the sim seems extremely reluctant to then accept E-1-2 to reselect both engines on a twin. I've tried holding the keys down for a second or two, hitting them all simultaneously, hitting them very rapidly in sequence and sacrificing a goat at midnight, but success seems to be completely random. This used to work fine in FS2K but it seems broken now. Now, I dare say someone will probably say "why select one engine in the first place"? However, flying on-line it is easy to do it by accident when typing messages. This happened to me the other evening and I ended up landing an ERJ-145 in a thoroughly messy manner with assymetric thrust. I don't recommend you try it.Anyone else share that experience, or am I missing something obvious?Cheers,Andy/EGTR

Andy, I tend to highly agree with you. Some aircraft work great to select engines and some are a nightmare. I haven't done typing situation since I go via voice comms. Julian

Guest jaapverduijn

"(...) sacrificing a goat at midnight (...)"Only works at midnight GMT, and the goat must be a virgin. If these conditions weren't originally met, you might now want to give it another try (grin)!

The "accepted" method is to hit E + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 in quick succession, which certainly works for me when I have to do it. However, even I have trouble at times.

If you have a throttle quadrant, or a free button on any of your controllers and can program them to reproduce keypress macros, do what I do. Just program a macro into the stick allowing for very rapid presses of "e-1-2-3-4". Then it's always the same rate for the presses, and I find that it always works.Bill Womack

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit