Sign in to follow this  
Janov

My observations after first test-flight, post-patch (longish story mode)

Guest Boaz

I must say Janov, your report is amazing!It is also really nice to finally hear from an "outsider", how realistic this simulation is, some have actually discussed the level of realism, and I can say some are WAY off, nice to finally carve it into stone.Also nice to hear from Alex, on the beta team!Great crew of professionals PMDG got!Boaz...

Just in case anyone still reads this topic, I checked how the FMS works after takeoff in VNAV on my last flight (just got back home today):After liftoff the bug stays at V2 (lets assume thats 170kts), but the flight-director commands V2+10 (or possible higher speed). This is also displayed on the FMC, where it says "ACT 180kt CLB".At 400 feet Vnav engages. The bug then jumps to V2+10 (or higher, as mentioned in the above posts), with the page still showing "ACT 180kt CLB".At acceleration altitude the bug will jump to current flap limit speed -5kts, with the FMC showing "ACT LIM SPD". When flaps are raised, the bug jumps again to the next current flap limit -5kts.Jan "Janov"

Guest jcomm

Janov,I certainly do look for all of your and "jon b" posts... How great it would be to have you with us at the PS13aEE4 Community...Just in case: http://744.hoppie.nl/pub/

Guest D17S

Hey Janov, Great to get feed back from a real airplane. Thanks for taking the time. It sounds like the sim

Guest jcomm

That's probably why in the manual the speed they recommend to set in the MCP is V2+10.In PS1 we allways set V2 because we know the commanded speed will indeed be V2+10, and the speed bug in the speed tape will jump to it when past 400' AGL...Just now that we're talking speed tapes, I noticed that while they added the manouvering yellow lines with the new patch (called high/low speed buffet model in the list of new features for 1.10), these are only displayed when, for instance cruise level is reached during climb (high speed buffet).The low speed buffet line is sometimes displayed, but not under all circumstances it should get displayed...The flap retraction from flaps 5 to flaps 1 to flaps UP during climb, or the way around during app. results in the immediate modification of the buffet overspeed red dots as soon as the lever is moved between these detents, as opposed to PS1 where only when the commanded flaps position is reaching one of the detents as shown on the upper EICAS the buffet tapes get adjusted...While AUTOLAND is now smooth, there is a problem when there are crosswind components higher than 10 knots. The limit for the 744 is way above in the real thing and what happens is that the drift upwind is so significative that in all my autolands with crosswind the aircraft ended up a little bit out of the rw limits... A pitty, specially now that it flares a lot better than before :-(

Guest A32X

Hi Jcomm,Maybe why the PMDG bird tries to "depart the runway" during an x-wind autoland is due to the fact that rudder is only applied in the Flare. I believe that the real aircraft starts appling rudder at around 500feet and enters a slip. I

Paul,During autoland ? AP commands steering all the way to a full stop (provided you get a valid LOC signal that is) in this model.. Rudder and steering are the same in MSFS by the way. And yes it does start at 500 ft if crab angle greater than 5 degrees etc etc etc. At 1300 in engine out situations. The whole book is modelled here. It just does it smoooooooth. Open LOWER EICAS / STAT page and check it out.Just make sure you keep your feet of the rudder pedals and that they are centred and calibrated. On the ground user input (even involuntary one..). always overrrides the AP. Try something like 16 cross...certification for CAT III is 10 by the way but what the heck...Now the real problem is that in MSFS unfortunately the "forward" friction factor is 10 times higher than normal and the cross-directional one is 3 times lower. Ugh...Best,Vangelis===================================== E. M. Vaos Precision Manuals Development Group www.precisionmanuals.com=====================================

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Guest D17S

J.C., Thanks for the feed back. I

>but 3 times easier to get blown sideways. The model has to be>intentionally "adjusted" (away from reality) to compensate for>this inherent flaw in MSFS . . to make it 'seem' real in the>sim. Maybe?No, I don't think there is any compensation in this 747 (or any other MSFS aircraft). Like I said, a new sim1.dll takes care of the rollong friction but there may be no cure yet for the lateral friction.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest jcomm

Indeed PMDGQOS has it's AFCS code properly done, and it does enter a sideslip as confirmed in the EICAS STAT page. It would be great if they could add yet a few more realism and make the system react to engine failure (up to two shutdown/failled sengines on the same side) during AUTOLAND3 by using increased rudder deflection to overcome the drag on the "dead side".PMDG is as good as any MSFS-based product can go flightmodelwise, I am sure!