Sign in to follow this  
Janov

Second test flight observations

Hi All again,today I did my second test flight, this time from Miami to Jacksonville. Here are my observations:Setup started with a CTD, even though I never had a problem before. Reloaded with C172, then switched to 747, no problem (no FSUIPC or whatever thats called installed).I started with a rejected take-off just below V1. Everything worked good, I only have a problem with my autobrake disengaging when I steer with my CH-Pedals, might be a brake-deadband (spiking) problem, even though its set to a high deadband. If I dont touch pedals they work great. I have to move my throttle through 2 cycles to get the retardation noticed. I really dont like clicking the screw or hitting a button combination for an RTO, yanking the throttles close is just sooo much more intuitive. (Cosmetic issue)Retracting flaps "1" to "up", I noticed the red band disappearing immediately after flap lever was at "up", even though flaps where still transitioning to up. Red band should disappear only after flaps fully up. (Cosmetic issue)I deliberately "forgot" to turn on the packs and climbed to 17000feet. Cabin ROC was very slow, around 300 fpm - much improved over prepatch, but still too slow, in my opinion. Will try to get some comparison values on my next real flight (Monday to HKG). (Minor issue)When flying with autopilot engaged, but FD off, all FMA

Guest thscholz

>>I deliberately "forgot" to turn on the packs and climbed to>17000feet. Cabin ROC was very slow, around 300 fpm - much>improved over prepatch, but still too slow, in my opinion.>Will try to get some comparison values on my next real flight>(Monday to HKG). (Minor issue)>Just out of curiosity: What exactly are you going to do on that flight? 'Forget' the packs?CheersThomas

Jan,what did you make of the go-around pich rate?I asked the develpment team if they could increase it as you were loosing way to much height during a go-around.Just wondering if its been changed as I dont have my sim up and running at the moment having just moved houseregardsJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Hi Jon+Thomas,well, I won

Guest A32X

Looking forward to reading "test flight number 3" ;-)-Paul

Guest Boaz

Janov it is really exciting to hear what you have to teach!Could you perhaps take pictures on one of your flights? I am really fond of the next flight you are going on, the one to HKG...Also you have any good pointers on VNAV approach? Many thanks for all the many things you continue to contribute with!Boaz...

Guest D17S

"I deliberately "forgot" to turn on the packs and climbed to 17000feet. Cabin ROC was very slow, around 300 fpm - much improved over prepatch, but still too slow, in my opinion." That sounds too slow to me too. We often pressurize airplanes on the ground to check for leaks. Pump 'em up to 6 or 7 inches then shut everything down. External/Apu electric . . everything. Dead quiet. This is so the poor guy outside on the cherry picker can hear any leaks. 1000-1500 fpm is a normal leakdown with the outflow valves fully closed and all pneumatics/packs off. When we're done lookin', on the way back up (from 20,000 leagues under the sea) it's fun to crack open the outflows a bit further. On a humid day, the expanding air totally fog out the cabin. Same princilal as the ACM's. Ever notice fog blowing out of the gaspers? It's like walking around in a fog bank. Hey, gotta take it where you can and we grease monkeys need our fun too!

>cherry picker can hear any leaks. 1000-1500 fpm is a normal>leakdown with the outflow valves fully closed and all>pneumatics/packs off. I can only speculate that this rather significant outflow is not through the windows, doors but rather through the packs themselves which must have extensive plumbing behind them that eventually lead to the engines.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest D17S

Generally behind (hopefully) functional check valves . . . but that's all part of the machine. And as you so gracefully suggested, part of the job really is for some poor new guy to go stick his head in the ol' tailpipes (We really are starved for entertainment. Being a new guy can be a full time job!) Those old DC-8 and 747-1/200 are well worn. You can actually see daylight around the main entry doors when they are closed. Don't worry. The door seals inflate when the airplane pressurizes . . . pretty well. I used to fly around on C-130s. Now there's a leaker. That red cabin pressure warning light never went out. Part of my 'in-flight' responsibility was to wander around with a roll of paper towels and a bottle of water listening for big leaks. Find a good one and plug it up with a damp wad. Sitting in a cabin at 14,000 feet gets old. You don't want to see a C-130 with the pylon tanks installed. Those things will go forever. 12-14 hours from some African adventure back to Frankfurt civilization. I could generally get a couple of thousand feet back. And the gratitude I got was that everybody wanted my couch. (Anyone know the cockpit layout of a 130? Then you know.) I would get to sit in the front seats while the drivers took turns napping on my couch. "Here" the PF would instruct, "Keep the INSs loaded" (They would only hold 10 waypoints at a time back then). Oh Boy? If you're looking for excitement, be advised that (once you get Vnav figured out!) flying a big airplane is generally pretty boring work and, hey, I'm not the pilot. But I've got hundreds of hours in those front seats. In flight, I'm the napper. Wake me when we get there. It looks like I've got some leaks to fix. Got

Guest Just747-400

Dear Janov,Just two items, maybe you would like to check again please.*****************************************************************Same is for the numerical display of Vref. It disappears in this sim after the Vref-bug becomes visible. That way its hard to figure out where to EXACTLY set the Target speed. To explain: Imagine your wind is 17kts, gusting 20. You come up with a Target speed of Vref+12. Tower tells you the wind shortly before landing (i.e. at OM), but by that time you are slow, and the Vref speed is not written out on the ADI anymore. You can only tell that it

Hi Alex,on the first item: I guess then it

Guest Just747-400

Thank you Jan,Sorry for the misunderstanding, yes there are so many options that nobody can keep up with them. I was looking on our on line mx manual and found out that only on eicas there are 1,500 optional msgs.

1500?? Wow...Anyway, great work, guys :-)Jan