Sign in to follow this  
Guest jamesmcgrathhsd

747-400 Ver. 1.10 is Trouble-some

Guest jamesmcgrathhsd

Hello PMDG,I had very few if any problems until the latest release. Yes, when you turn right it would turn left in the previous versions, but that problem could be mitigated by not turning the mouse wheel too fast. Other than that is was fine. The new version, which I have been patient with since I downloaded it on 11/29 or there about, has been a queen-b_tch to deal with. VNAV is unpredictable, constant overspeeds, FMC acting wierd (heaven forbid if you enter a lower climb speed into the FMC durng ascent - FMC looses all reference to fuel prediction and ETA), and everytime I land at LIRF (Fiumicino, Rome) as soon as the nose wheel touches down it crashes (regardless if I have/have not auto brake, auto spoilers, reverse thrust, etc. - this doesn't happen with LVD 767-300 for instance or any other aircraft- I have screen captures of the cockpit and external views if you are interested). I love your products, BE-1900D, 737 NG+, and the 747 of which some improvements have been made (e.g. engine sounds) but this release is not worth the daily frustration. Luckly I have saved all previous downloads and will reinstall except the current version. I am confident this version will be re-evalauted and corrected.ThanksJim McGrathFS9.1, FSUIPC 3.5 Reistered, Intel 3.0 Mhz, 1GB mem, Nvida GeForce FX 5200. CH Yoke and pedals, etc.

Hello Jim, I too had some overspeed issues but thought it wise to delete my FSUIPC ini file and try once more. My flight was KSFO-KLAX. I use VNAV and LNAV until I was on approach which I in turn used V/S simply because that is the way I fly it. I had no issues whatsoever with VNAV or the A/T even after changing modes etc in all phases of fligth unlike before.1] Leaving SFOhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/135212.jpg2] In CRZ to LAXhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/135213.jpg3] About to land ILS 24R LAX.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/135214.jpg Even on DEScent I had no problems with speed, except when speed incresed a bit past REF I used the spoliers to keep it within 10 knots at all times. The plane kept the HARD ALT RES perfectly. This is not to say that there are not some issues with LNAV etc it's just that I was able to do my test flight without any hiccups.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest jamesmcgrathhsd

Hi Randy,Thanks for the advise. If I delete the FSUIPC.ini file, will it regenerate automatically or is there something else I need to do?ThanksJim McGrath

Yes it does it automatically. And FYI, I had overspeed issues prior to doing this. It will take more testing to hammer out any remaining issues with the A/T modes that are not strictly related to this, those being the manner in which VNAV is enaged after A/T disconect and on LNAV with the plane not turining to the first wpt on To. Of course there is a sound issue(crackling noise etc) which PMDG are looking into also. But that said I am able to perform a good flight still..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest firehawk44

Hi Jim,I still have the overspeed problem even after deleting the FSUIPC.ini and letting it rebuild itself. I also completely uninstalled and reinstalled the aircraft which fixed a problem I was having opening the doors (CTRL+E). I had to go into the PMDG options menu and set it in the Key Control menu. The doors now open normally after the reinstall. What I have noted with any and all aircraft ever installed is I usually have problems during the flight whenever I load the FS9 weather in real time and it's updated every 15 minutes. If I select a default weather scenerio instead, I encounter no problems. Perhaps it's a coincidence but I have been simming for many years and I've seen problems happen almost every time with real weather turned on.I have flown a flight from KSFO to KSAN twice now and I have the same speed problem. It's like a CAT 8 hurricane has hit me in the rear and pushes my aircraft way past 380 mph at my cruise attitude of 310. Warning lights and sounds come on. The FMC gives me a warning that drag is required. I hit FLCH and the speed setting is 386! I lower the speed and fly the rest of the trip using manual speed settings. (Fortunately I have crashes turned off or I would not have made it very far).Prior to LAX, I set my arrival runway as ILS 9 with SARGS Intersection as the transition. I make sure there are no breaks in the legs and the legs page is correct. I reset the altitude to 3000 prior to LAX. I figure the aircraft should be beginning its descent from FL310 around LAX but the aircraft does not descend unless I do it manually (hit FLCH and then VS). The FMC legs page indicates I need to be at FL 140 at OCN (I think it was 140) but the PFD indicates the TD is just after OCN. There's no way the aircraft can get down from 310 to the altitude required to land at Rwy 9 unless it does a steep dive.I haven't tried this flight with just the default weather yet and will do so when I get the time so see if the automatic pilot will bring the aircraft down at the right time. I just wanted to post this as I've read of others suffering the speed problem and doors not opening problem after upgrading to 1.10. By the way, I did not suffer these problems with the beta upgrade. Thanks for reading.Jim Young

Hey Jim, I wanted to say that I too have AS yet have not tried it on this as of yet, only default weather so I will do the trip with AS engaged to see any issues you speak of. Here is another screenie of my flight, this one on descent and as you can see the A/T-VNAV is right on...Notice "HOLD" on the FMA, so any excess speed is natual reseult of other non A/T issues like unforecast winds etc...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/135261.jpg[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Well no issues whatsoever even with the newest AS program here. Other than normal speed fluctuations VNAV performed very well with NO overspeeds. I saw some crosswinds up to 65 knots descending through FL 400 but nothing it could not handle..http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/135274.jpg[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest firehawk44

Thanks Randy for your help. I flew the KSFO-KSAN flight again last night using the default weather. Cruise alt was FL310. At around FL240, the FMC warned me with the following msg: MAX ALT FL266. I cleared it and the aircraft continued to FL310 w/o incident. I've received similar messages like this each time I fly the 747. Immediately upon arriving at cruise altitude, the aircraft speed went up to 370 even though the MCP speed indic showed Mach .857 (320). (Remember I am using the default weather - i.e., no weather). I manually took over by hitting FLCH, let the aircraft slow to 320, then hit VNAV and no further overspeed incident occurred.The descent into KSAN began just before LAX and was right on! So the two times I flew this route with real weather loaded, the descent was really messed up as I described in my earlier msg. Without the weather, it worked perfectly.I had one additional incident upon landing at KSAN: The FMC had the following msg: FUEL DISAGREE - PROG 2. Does anyone know what that means? Maybe the fact I loaded fuel using the fuel loader before starting FS9 and also going to the PMDG options menu and checking 2/3 full on the fuel tab?I think most of my problems are system related and I do not fault PMDG or any other aircraft maker (many of the same problems occur with any aircraft - LD767, PSS777, etc.). I was just hoping someone else experienced my problems and had the magic bullet to fix them. My system is a P4 3.6 GHz sys w/one gig of DDR2 RAM, and a Radeon X800XT PCIe video card.Thanks!Jim Young

Guest Robin.B

Jim,This is a known issue I think (FUEL DISAGREE - PROG 2) about the Service Update. I get it as well upon touchdown and it basically means that there is too much difference between the Totalizer and Calculated Fuel on the 2nd page of PROG in the FMC.

Guest firehawk44

Thanks Robin. I've been reading most of the e-mails in this forum but just didn't see this problem discussed before. Not a major problem for me. I just thought it was a strange message. Thanks!Jim Young

Guest firehawk44

Hey Randy,Just wanted to let you know I ran the KSFO-KSAN flight again this morning. Earlier I told you I flew it last night and had the overspeed problem but not the descent problem I was having. This AM I had no overspeed problems throughout the flight but the top of descent marker on the PFD was again just before the SARGS intersection and not around LAX. Therefore I had to goto VNAV and hit DES NOW which worked until FL290 then had to hit it again to continue the descent. I may have caused the problem because I had to send an e-mail during the flight and hit alt-tab to get to my e-mail program and that may have messed settings up.Jim

Hello again Jim,top of descent marker on the PFD was again just before the SARGS intersection and not around LAX. I am not sure where that is exactly Jim since I use the SADDE 6 ARR/AVE TRANS. Question, is there any reason for your thoughts at to the position of the TOD point? As you are aware the FMC calculates this point and I have yet to see it not calculate it to where descent is as expected. Have you simply tried to let ot do it's thing? Also, what CI are you you using?[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest firehawk44

Thanks again for your response Randy. The SARGS intersection is next to SADDE. I don't recall seeing the STAR you are using but will use it in the future. I just opened the KSAN arr page and selected runway 9 with SARGS as the transition. That probably is the problem."Question, is there any reason for your thoughts at to the position of the TOD point? As you are aware the FMC calculates this point and I have yet to see it not calculate it to where descent is as expected. Have you simply tried to let ot do it's thing?"Answer: I have tried to let the FMC do it's thing but it results in a serious dive at the TD (v/s over 4000). Not realistic. I'm sure selecting the SADDE 6 STAR will fix this problem. What's strange is the fact the TOD point was over LAX on an earlier flight. Then I fly the same route again the next day and the TOD is just before SARGS (about 25 miles from Touchdown). At FL310, that's one heck of a dive!Not sure what you mean by the "CI" I'm using but I have the latest NAV cycle 0512 installed.Thanks for your assistance.Jim Young

Hello again Jim, CI is "cost index" which affects VNAV for performance considerations. A CI of 100 is what I use and many real life airlines use higher numbers like 150. VNAV or the AFDS does not take PAX comfort into consideration so at times depending on many varibles, one can see such high V/S s although I have not at my standard flight configuation for SFO-LAX. VNAV is concerned with keeping the path and if one has a tailwind you will see this chasing of the path. There are ways one can make the transition to descent smoother. One ways is to use the DES NOW feature which will start a shallow descent (1000 fpm) until capture of the original path profile. Also, one can simply use V/S to start the descent then re-engage VNAV both of which are realistic too. My flight plan is KSFO rwy 28 R, SID =PORTE3/AVE TRANS. ARR is rwy 24 R - DENAY TRANS, SADDE6-AVE TRANS with "COVIN" manually inserted before "DENAY" to close the DISCONunity. Crz is typically FL 390 or thereabouts. Give it a try, it's a nice flight... [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest jamesmcgrathhsd

Hey Randy,I had my first trouble-free flight since I downloaded ver 1.10. Deleting the FSUIPC.ini apparantly did the trick. Why, I don't know, but no complaints. I flew from JFK to Gatwick and it was flawless (they way it used to be!). I'm going to try the JFK to LIRF and see if the Queen crashed when the nose wheel touches down.Thanks!Jim