Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG Type Course Overview: Helping you to get ahead!

Captains-When we released the 400 back in august and again now with the release of the service update, we have been inundated with reports of "bugs" that are (after sometimes tedious research/review) actually the result of improper operation of the airplane, or simple failure to follow the instructions. In fact, the VAST majority of issues reported by users in this forum and others result from lack of knowledge and understanding of this truly complex simulation.In many cases, these "non-bug" reports are the result of the fact that it simply isn't feasible for us to put you through an 8 week type-rating course, nor is it possible for us to provide you with the thousands of pages of documentation that you'd normally study in order to fly this airplane in the real world.At PMDG we take simulation quite seriously- and in most cases I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of you haven't even begun to explore the real complexities of this airplane. When demonstrated for some folks at The Boeing Company, they were absolutely stunned by the depth of simulation that was possible- but they also know their airplane a bit better than all of us.....So we have come up with a concept that we hope will excite and interest you while also helping to provide some factual information to help you enjoy this airliner simulation to the fullest extent of it's capabilities.This concept is going to be know as the PMDG 747 Type Course- and will appear as periodic postings here in the PMDG forum. We plan to convert these periodic posts into PDF format to make them available from our site so that you will have a ready catalogue of tips/techniques/tricks that grows over time.Our intent is to provide you with a greater in depth look at some of the techniques used to fly this airplane in the real world without boring you silly by forcing you to read 400 pages of detail that might not apply to any of the flying you do with this simulation.The first of these new postings will address the autothrottle, as we have found a vast number of posts in recent days that make it clear that the realism we have added to the autothrottle of this airplane is taking a few of you by surprise....As we progress I am certain that we will revisit topics occasionally in order to expand your technique horizons. We have will start out with a few basic operating systems and progress to teaching you some very advanced flight techniques with the airplane that we feel will make the challenge of flying the 747-400 more fun, more manageable, and far more rewarding.So as always, thank you for your support- and please help one another by sharing the information that we are working to share with you. After all- that's the point of this hobby in the first place!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest Olaklane

Thanks,,,that sounds great.once agin PMDG is about to prove why you have the best customer support.

What a great idea! I look forward to learning more about the wonderful "Queen".

Mervyn Edwards

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest AJ

When the type course is complete, I hope you will compile it into a single training package to accompany the already fine documentation which you have provided.Andrew

Guest AJ

>When the type course is complete, I hope you will compile it>into a single training package to accompany the already fine>documentation which you have provided.>>AndrewOops. I now see this is already in the works.Andrew

That's a fantastic idea.Thank you very much indeed.Best wishesDavid

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Great idea Robert!I'm sure that would cut down on a lot of the traffic on the forum. That is if folks actually read it :-)On another note, you guys are down to three flights a day. When you commin thru GSO again? Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!

Guest jgreth123

Robert and rest of the PMDG team, I am truly impressed by your dedication to your customers, and more importantly, to fellow aviation enthusiasts. There's a reason your team is #1. .. and I'm hard to impress! :)

Guest carlonch

Thank you Robert and the Team, Your wisdom on this matter is welcome.And just to help to other people I want to tell you that I solved many silly and weird problems, REINSTALLING XP. Now I have a very fast system "again", and all the "problems" with the 747 DISSAPEARED :-) So think of it. It can be your system or your FS9 or both. A clean reinstall makes magic. Of course reading the manual is a must to enjoy the Queen.RegardsCarlosGCLP

Guest Carel

I could not wish for more!This is even better than a tutorial (wink)!!Thank you very much, Carel

I too would like to say that I much appreciate the customer support and interest shown in customers.I really look forward to following some sort of training course. And by the way will I be able to get some sort of qualifcation out of this? !!Thanks again,John Morgan

>>Our intent is to provide you with a greater in depth look at>some of the techniques used to fly this airplane in the real>world without boring you silly by forcing you to read 400>pages of detail that might not apply to any of the flying you>do with this simulation.>looks at the industrial printer specifically got to cope with prining manuals.Nothing wrong with a bit of light bedtime reading....One comment though - have you seen the beautiful manual being produced by Level D for the 767.It's extra indepth and with redone graphics to match the style.Punched and bound like a regular flight manual.There is definately a market for something similar for the 747.

Guest tcable

Thanks Rob. Just asl okng as the modules are consistient with the 'options' of the Queen as delivered :)I still am amazed at the airplane especailly now that I'm reading a real AOM.

Guest adl320

This is fantastic! I am sure it will be VERY much appreciated. I read through the first course on AT usage and learned some good tid bits right away. I did not know that the idle control was modled to the degree it was. Also, I like the fact that the manual throttle control while in HOLD mode is simulated.Once again, fantastic airplane, and fantastic support! Happy New Year!