Sign in to follow this  
Guest tzadik

critical issue last night

Guest tzadik

was flying the queen last night from New York to Tel Aviv... everything was perfect... about two thirds of the way thru the track I logged off squawkbox and went to bed... about 4am I was woken up by the sounds of warnings and a stick shaker. the PFD had my speed bouncing around between .74 mach and .68... still no reason for a stall warning and my abnormally high angle of attack... I hit shift+z and the sim showed my speed as 209kts and my altitude was 2000 feet lower than indicated on my PFD. I also noticed my a/p was going crazy... switching from vnav to alt from lnav to hdg from speed to thrust, etc... and going back and forth. Basically I just shut her down and wrote the flight off... bummer. Any advice... I bought my bird a few months ago and recently upgraded with the service update. Prior to the update I made several transpac flights with her and nothing like this happened.thanks,Justin

about 4am I was woken up by the sounds of warnings and a stick shaker. Hello, Can you really expect anyone to be able to know what was going on in the FD when you were asleep? Granted you can do that but no pilot in the world sleeps while he is suppose to be monitoring the flight..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest tzadik

not getting paid to sit infront of the cpu... if i was... i might just stay awake for the whole 12 hours :)

:( My flights are a couple of hours at most, could not sit there either unless of course it was the real deal..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest neilb

I've found that sometimes FS's downloaded weather makes the plane go nuts.I remember once flying to Lagos and having the aircraft say it was at FL370 when it was only 2000 above the ground. Cleared weather and it was fine.

Guest tzadik

the winds were doing a lot of shifting but this was something different... something was clearly wrong with the a/p. i never had any problems before the patch... was it a mistake to install it... don't fix it if it ain't broke sorta thing?

No, it is certainly better to install the newest update. Your issues to be sure are not related to the plane per se but other unknown issues which could be a number of things but I would rather not play "name that issue" without a point by point of what went wrong and seeing that you were not at the controls precludes us from figuring out what went wrong. If on the other hand you do another flight perhaps shoter in length so that you can document any issues you believe or present then we can at that time go over them point by point...[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest Ray51

If you are not going to sit there monitoring the flight why not just use accelerated time? You logged off VATSIM no reason not to just set her in warp factor 8 and get it over with.Why file a long haul route you are not going to really fly in the first place? Just file a short hual the number of hours you will "sit there" and terminate at the desired destination?The only reason I can think of to go through all that is to scam a VA into thinking you really flew the route. I flew for a VA and a guy filed PIREPs for 20 hours in one day. We were not allowed to used accelerated time and had an ACARS system to monitor for "cheating". The longest route I have flown to date in the Queen is Indy to Barbados and back. Flew there in one day and flew back another day. I did "sit there" for the whole flight. IMOA you did not fly the route if you didn't "sit there" for the flight.Now I will explain a problem I had one time. I use a weather add-on for my real world weather. about 3/4 of the way there I sudden got a large pitchup and started lossing speed. I had to take manual control and get her out of a stall. As it turned out my weather didn't update properly and I had the wrong BA press causing the auto pilot to want to climb. Since then I am careful what weather I use when out over the oceans. I think it might be that I was set for inches mercury on the Barometer and the weather reports when in HPARay51on the 2L approach for KDPA

Justin-Son- you keep answering posts in this thread without your name and I'll delete them like rodents..... (in best John Wayne voice...)Please adhere to the forum guidelines...What you saw was most certainly related to overly-dramatic weather changes.If you had the airplane operating in VNAV with the A/T in SPD mode- and MS suddenly introduced garbage weather data- it is very likely that the airplane will suddenly have trouble maintaining altitude/speed because of a rapid shift in density/temperature that would never happen in the real world.When this happens, the AFDS struggles to keep the airplane airborne. It will obviously attempt to maintain VNAV PATH or VNAV ALT depending on the mode you were in- but the real noticable struggle will come from the A/T.If the airplane AOA goes into the stall range with teh A/T armed and engaged, it is going to switch to THR REF mode- and you will see FLCH appear on the FMA.If the airplane is able to recapture it's altitude- then the A/T will revert to SPD mode...So to answer your questions- yes, this was caused by a bogus weather update in MSFS. No it was not a problem with the airplane per se- and yes you should always stay current with the most recent updates.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest tzadik

robert, thank you very much... i just figured that since i used my name on the initial post that would suffice. thank you for your constructive assistance with my product... the others just seemed interested in critiquing my flying habits.justinps. for the record i think setting the autopilot, going offline (so as not to break vatsim rules), and sleeping while the autopilot flies the bird is a pretty legit thing and i'd bet more than half of the flightsim long haulers do it.

Guest tzadik

robert, one last question... what do you think the reasoning was behind the faulty readings on the PFD? Like i mentioned, at times it was reading mach .72 but yet shift+z on the sim said i was only doing 208kts.justin