Sign in to follow this  
fspaan

Need Advice on PC specs for FS2002

Hello,I have currently AMD Thunderbird 1.33Ghz, 512 DDR RAM, 64mb GeForce2 GTS video, Turtle Beach Quadzilla audio, Windows 2000. I used to fly FS2000 and got hooked on PSS 777, 747, PIC 767, DF 737, Radar Contact, FS Meteo, SimFlyers sceneries. I stopped after Sept 11 due to personal reasons. Now I am thinking about going out and get FS2002. However I am no longer sure my system that used to run FS2000 very well can sustain FS2002 with similar 3rd party add-ons and decent graphic settings. Please if anyone would kindly advise me as to whether I would need to upgrade my system or will it be okay to run the new sim on my current rig and still able to maintain decent frame rates and graphic settings (may be not at max settings but enough to see most of the visual glory of 2002). Tahnk you very much.Best regards,Henry

Henry,Your system almost matches mine, except I'm using a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and have 512mb of SDram running in Windows98SE. Otherwise, the rest of the components are the same. FS2k2 runs basically o.k., but when you get close to clouds or dense scenery, you are going to get some stuttering. My frame rates in those situations go to about 8 to 10. At altitude, it's smooth. I hear some complaints even with 2.0gb processors. The sim is very good, not faultless, but I think you would like it.Hope this helps with your decision.Cheers,Bob

Bob,That helps a lot. Thank you. I think I will go for it. By the way, what settings for the AI and scenery did you set for the game?Best regards,Henry

I have a P3/800, along with a Gef/2 Ti, SBLive, 256 megs of RAM, and 98SE. I have no problems running 2k2--and haven't had any stuttering issues around clouds that some have noted. Due to my slower cpu, I generally keep AI off, unless I'm limiting my flight to doing touch 'n goes, where the AI traffic adds to the fun. Around major airports (LAX, etc....) I average 15-20 fps, but that falls way down if I max AI. So I simply don't.... Around major airports in less detailed cities (i.e. PHX) my fps never falls under 25, even with a layer or two of clouds (two layers looks great around twilight).FS2002 is markedly different from FS2000 in terms of stuttering. Turns are smooth, scenery updates are fluid, and (in my case), the scenery stays crisp most of the time. Visual glory is a great way to describe what I enjoy. Twilight causes shadows to play against the terrain, as an example, with no hit in fps... Here's a screenshot that sums it up for me, and I was clocking around 30-35 fps when I took it, with everything maxed except Autogen (off) and AI (25 pct)--I usually leave Autogen off unless I'm shooting touch n goes, as it absorbs a few fps:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d321ff53edf75d4.jpg

Hi John,It is so hard to catch up with technology. I first started with a Pentium 400mhz when FS2000 came out. I was struggling with keeping the sim running at a flyable frame rate until I was able to upgrade to AMD 1.33ghz. THen I was in heaven for a while adding on all these add-ons and still getting great performance. Now if I am going for FS2002 I will find myself back on square one once again. Thanks for your feedback. One question though, are you running any third-party add-on with the sim?Best regards,Henry

I have a P3/800, TNT2 Riva 64mb, 768mb and running WinXP. I had to switch off some non-flying related issues like AI, watereffects etc. I use FSNavigator 4.5, Dreamfleet 737 and PSS 747-400 and use FSMeteo for the real wheather, S-combo for extra cabinsounds. Also I use FS Sky World, switching the textures every 10 minutes randomly. I use a second PC, P2/266 for Squawkbox, ServInfo and WhazzUp. Monitor at 1024x768 when using FS2002. I have found FS2002 performing way better than FS2000. I used the same system at that time. Windows XP is slightly slowing it down (+/-1 fps) but it is too stable to deinstall it and turning back to Windows 98.I am planning to save money for a new system, a third one becomming the base PC for Flightsimulator. First thing I intend to buy is another graphics card. Hope this helps you a bit.