Sign in to follow this  
Guest kch42

737NG is unplayable

Guest kch42

I just purchased the 737NG and the framerates are so low that it is unplayable.My system:MSI Neo2 PlatinumAMD Athlon 3200+ 641GB Corsair PC3200 RAMNvidia 256mb 6600 AGPI installed the PMDG right after a fresh install of FS2004 along with Active Camera and FSPassengers.I've tried both the 2D and VC. All settings are at default except for resolution which is bumped up to 1280x1024(have tried 1024x768 with no change in performance).When I say unplayable I'm talking about 1 frame every 5 seconds. Switching views takes at least 3-5 seconds. Haven't been able to even taxi.My system may not be the greatest these days but it's no slouch. FS2004 runs fine normally without PMDG.I have no idea what's going on here and where to start tweaking. Nothing in the Display settings seems to make a difference.Anyone have any clue as to what may be going on here?

Try a full 'defrag' and/or consider using 'FSAutostart' available right here in the library?Take your 'Traffic' slider to the far left and lock your FPS at '20'.Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest kch42

>Try a full 'defrag' and/or consider using 'FSAutostart'>available right here in the library?>>Take your 'Traffic' slider to the far left and lock your FPS>at '20'.>>Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim>User's Group' member at>http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/I guess I can try the defrag. I have tried FSAutostart and closed down all apps and as many processes as possible.I haven't tried the traffic slider. I normally have it set to 80 and the FPS at 20.If I switch to the MS 737 the game runs fine at an acceptable FPS. It's just when I switch to the 737NG when it all comes to a painful crawl, whether in 2D or VC.I have no idea what could cause this. I've tried deleting the FS9.cfg file as well as doing fresh installs.

You cannot compare the default with the PMDG in regards to FPS sir since the PMDG is extremely advanced in every way. AI "traffic" is the number one killer of frame rates (Clouds not opt can be just as bad). Just try the slider while "in game" and see the results. I have a very fast computer but still those 10+ extra fps mean alot in flight sim.. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDAL

Guest kch42

I used the comparison to demonstrate that by default, FS2004 was working properly, and only loading the 737NG caused the severe fps reduction.I've tried your suggestions and have even set every display and game option to the lowest it can go without seeing even the slightest increase in FPS.I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting but this has me stumped. I've even made sure that I'm running the latest nVidia drivers for my card.I've emailed tech support but given all the things that I have tried, I'm losing hope that there is something I have overlooked.Are there any PMDG options to tweak independently?I have to figure that something is taxing the CPU to the point that fps are reduced to less than one. It can't be a rendering issue because even with the cockpit frame turned off, the fps stays the same. There's hardly anything to draw on the screen.

Guest stevesj

I think you mentioned the problem your selfI've even made sure that I'm running the latest nVidia drivers for my card.Try rolling back to some older drivers to see if that cures it, pound to a penny it will.hthSteve

Guest kch42

Any idea which drivers to try and where I can find them?

Guest GeoffC

Not sure what your name is, you should sign all posts (Surprised Randy didn't get you for that one).Anyway the NVIDIA drivers archive is at:http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.htmlPersonally I'm running on 78.01. Whether that's significant I don't know, however I do get 15 - 20 (Locked at 20) FPS all the time in the 737NG, even at the gate somewhere like EGCC. Very interesting I hear you say, however my system is not as up to date as yours, which suggests the problem is not with the PMDG 737. My system is over 3 years old and has the following spec:Computer: Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS Service Pack Service Pack 1Motherboard: CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A, 2533 MHz (4.75 x 533) Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8STXC (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 3 DIMM, Audio, LAN) System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)Display: Video Adapter GeForce FX 5900XT (128 MB)Multimedia: Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio DeviceStorage: Disk Drive ST380020A (80 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)In terms of FS9 settings, I have 85% traffic, and use Activesky weather.All I'm trying to highlight with this post is that your PC should be able to run this aircraft if it's setup correctly. Don't give up (I nearly did earlier this year until I found the problem), and email me if you want anymore info.

Guest kch42

Sorry about the name. I'll have to remember that in the future. :)And I very much appreciate all the feedback in this thread, even though I haven't been able to resolve the problem yet. Never say die though.I'll try the driver rollback as soon as I get the chance.Another question I have that may or may not be related...Parts of the menu system seem painfully slow and I don't know if it is another symptom of something wrong with my system or not. For example, when selecting the starting airport and/or destination airport in the flight planner, it takes at least a minute or so before the change is registered once I hit "OK." During this time I will not be able to select any other options. I don't know what the program is actually "doing" during this time but it just feels really slow. As I have nothing to compare it to I don't know if that is just the nature of the program or something wrong with my system.How long do you typically have to wait after selecting a departing or arriving airport in the flight planner?Thanks,Keith

Keith-something's running suspiciously on your computer. I am not at all sure that it has to do with MSFS, or our addon products.Check the Task Manager and see what percentage of CPU FlightSim is taking while running.If that's not at 100% (on single-core CPUs) or 50% (on dual-core), then whatever is taking the time (could be an antivirus, like Norton), should be killed manually (at first) to see if that makes a difference.I am betting something extraneous is causing your trouble.

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Definately cant be PMDG 737 as im running near identical to your system and get 'acceptable' frame ratesif your mobo is VIA i strongly suggest you update your VIA drivers.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest chrispy

Also just for kick's do a virus scan and and spyware scan. My computer is: Pent. 4 1.8GHz, 64mb Nvidia MX vid. card, 768mb of ram, and I get around 15 frames with little studder in that aircraft. For the spyware I use Microsoft antispyware. The antispyware my hamper you system a little bit like it does on mine after I got it but I suppose after you do the scan you can take it off. ChrisP.S. Even if you don't want the spyware thing, because it may bring down performance overall still to a virus scan.

Guest kch42

Yeah, I run a pretty clean system. I use Free AVG with regularly scheduled full system scans as well as the full crop of anti-spyware apps(MS, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster)I have tried using FSAutoStart before launching, while disabling pretty much every non-essential app and service(using BlackViper ref).Still haven't had a chance to try the vid driver rollback yet. Hoping to give that a go today.Thinking about scrounging up an old HDD and installing a fresh copy of XP Pro on it to see if I can isolate the problem.Keith