Sign in to follow this  
Guest bradzim

Pitch?

Guest bradzim

I have a easy question, that I never knew the answer to...When someone says "landing should be 3 degrees pitch with flap xx." Or "takeoff should be x degrees pitch". Where do I see the degree of the nose in the flight deck? I have never known this and am curious. Thanks!Brad

On the PFD (Primary Flight Display) each horizontal line represents 5 degrees of pitch.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest bradzim

Thank you both for the answers. That is what I figured, just wasn't sure. To keep the pitch at 3 degrees on approach, do you suggest trimming, pulling back on the yoke, speed, or flap? Or, would this be a combination of all of these? Thanks!Brad

Guest tmetzinger

>Thank you both for the answers. That is what I figured, just>wasn't sure. To keep the pitch at 3 degrees on approach, do>you suggest trimming, pulling back on the yoke, speed, or>flap? Or, would this be a combination of all of these? >Thanks!>BradIf you are talking about an approach pitch of three degrees, what you probably mean is that the normal ILS glideslope is a three degree path. That's the angle of the approach slope compared to the horizontal plane of the landing runway, and has NOTHING to do with your aircraft pitch attitude.For controlling your aircraft pitch attitude, all the things you mentioned (speed, flaps, trim) affect it. Generally you set the flaps for your phase of flight, adjust trim and power for the speed you want, and then you might modify trim and power to acheive the same speed at a particular pitch attitude.Using the yoke to maintain a specific pitch attitude is generally only done for short periods of time - the takeoff initial pitch up, the landing flare. Otherwise, you would use the yoke to set the pitch, and the trim to remove pressure so that the airplane stays at the proper pitch attitude when you let go of the yoke. Since our sims don't generally give you control pressure feedback, many folks set pitch attitude by tweaking the trim.