Sign in to follow this  
Guest gremel

PMDG software vs. monitors

Guest gremel

I've notice alot of advertizing lately involving the widescreen TV's that can also be used as monitors. If I were to purchase say a 24" wide tv/monitor and run the PMDG software on it, would you get the whole widescreen video output on the wide-screen or would you only get a 'boxed' view of the simulation with the sides blanked out??And also, would you be able to read the gauges since the resolution is something lower than 1068 X 768??Regards,noullet

Guest tmetzinger

Assuming your graphics card supports the "widescreen" pixel setup, you'd get a stretched version (with ovals instead of circles) of the panel.I believe the PMDG bitmaps for the 737 series were optimized for either 1280x1024 or 1280x960 resolution.The aspect ratio of your chosen display will affect how stretched (if any) your layout will be. The resolution will determine if your panel bitmaps are blurry. Depending on how gauges are built, they may scale very well.I would not recommend the widescreen display since the resolution is relatively low, and very few if any FS9 aircraft were designed with that particular aspect ratio (probably 16:9) in mind.Best wishes,

Guest tmetzinger

737 bitmaps are 1280X960, don't know about the 747.So the aspect ratio is usually 4-to-3, not 16-to-9.

Hey guys, widescreen is great if you are going VC. 2-D can add a stretch. I would not go for a TV though, go for the Dell 2405 widescreen monitor. It can handle 1920*1200. Most TV's run at 1366*768 You can see it in action here... http://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlVC on a widescreen offers no distortion (see pics in link) and is really the way to go. The enhanced viewing area is amazing...-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest tmetzinger

very nice, are you running two PCI cards, or one PCIe and one PCI?I tried adding a PCI card to my AGP card to display the overhead on an LCD like you had, and it was a disaster - frame rates went to single digits.

Guest gremel

Thanks guys. That's one amazing set-up you have there Paul. How much are the Dell monitors out of curiousity??Regards,noullet

Hey guys, thanks for the compliments. To answer your questions,1. I run dual PCI-E but I do not use them for SLI. I use them to run the multiple monitors. The new SLI motherboards expect two video cards so setup was a breeze. The great thing with that is there is no impact on FPS on that primary 24. I lock the FPS at 24 and stay pinned at 23.9 even at Simflyers KEWR with Aerosoft NYC, UTUSA and the PMDG Queen OR NG. 2. They seem to hover about $1000 US. I have seen people get them for $900. I paid $1000 tax and delivery included. I want to add another one and do the Full Pilot and Co-pilot setup with one running on each display. Regardless, it is worth every penny if you are a VC flyer. In planes like the Cessna, you can actually see the entire cockpit on one screen you have so much viewing area. I will add a picture of that to the website later.Thanks again guys,all the best,-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Guest tmetzinger

>1. I run dual PCI-E but I do not use them for SLI. I use>them to run the multiple monitors. The new SLI motherboards>expect two video cards so setup was a breeze. The great thing>with that is there is no impact on FPS on that primary 24. I>lock the FPS at 24 and stay pinned at 23.9> even at Simflyers KEWR with Aerosoft NYC, UTUSA and the PMDG>Queen OR NG. That's good info - I'll plan on my next upgrade being a new motherboard with support for dual PCI-E.

The missus wouldn't let me have these toys so she had to go... :(Nah, we called off the engagement for other reasons but you can see what I did with the honeymoon money lol...Best,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk