Sign in to follow this  
ukflight

PMDG 747 Window17

This is the content of Window17Window17 // PMDG_MISC_PANEL <--- square brackets removed so forum Gods are not upsetfile=747400_MISCPanel.bmp file_1024=747400_MISCPanel.bmpsize_mm=188,100position=2visible=0ident=31gauge00=PMDG_747400_Main!GPWSPanel, 0,0,188,100747400_MISCPanel.bmp is nowhere to be found. (I assume this window is there for a reason)Any clues?

Guest Marc Harrington

May I ask what the purpose of dissecting the configuration files is? Everything is there and working in the sim.

Guest tmetzinger

Well, since many of us "look under the cowling" of the products we fly, it's reasonable to assume that we'd be interested if something doesn't appear "correct".Having a config file call for a bitmap that doesn't exist will naturally spark questions.First question to come to mind is - "did I screw up the install, or did I or something else accidentally delete this file?"Running a program that checks for unused gauges in an effort to keep FS9 "straight" would also possibly flag the file as missing.There's certainly no problem if the file is in fact, not required.

There's no need to be toying around with the panel.cfg - we will not support modified files in any way. You're just going to have to trust us that everything is there for a reason, whether you understand why or not. [;)]

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Gents-I think the question merits answer here, even if we do not support user modifications of any files....Bill- we've been chasing our tails trying to fix "bugs" lately that wind up many times being caused by users modifying files and causing things to break.... Last week was chock full of such activities- which from a developer standpoint tends to be the peak of frustration because users never seem to tell us that they modified the files- even when we ask. ;-)I don't think Marc or Ryan intended any disrespect- but perhaps no answer was a bit rude. :-)We have a proprietary process of embedding artwork files in order to minimize the amount of texture memory used when displaying panels... It's omething that for obvious reasons I really don't want to go into in depth. The tools that some folks use to "Validate" installations aren't always useful with more complex setups like this airplane.I hope that answers your question... General Note For All Readers: We STRONGLY discourage people from tinkering and editing... You might unleash pandora's box- and yes- we will tell you that you have to uninstall/reinstall in order to help you.... Sorry. :-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest thscholz

Robert,does that mean that, if I edit the PANEL.CFG or the AIRCRAFT.CFG in order to add a gauge or a livery, I won't get any more support?Thomas

<Hi Thomas,In a nutshell, yes, and no. You will get support, but only after you return your installation back to its original state by reinstalling the product.We are unable to offer support to user modifications, no matter how minor*.Best,Vin ScimonePMDGwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/devteam.jpg* manual additions of liveries to the aircraft.cfg is the exception

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Guest thscholz

Thanks for answering Vin,but...this would mean that if I install a livery downloaded from the PMDG site I won't get support until I reinstall, as now I wouldn't have the 'original state'.;-) CheersThomas

Thomas,All liveries from our web site are installed via our installer and this does not constitute a unsupported user modification. Normally manual livery installs are no problem unless there is an error in adding the aircraft config info which is easy to spot and correct with help from our online customer community. ;-)

Thank you Robert - the information in your reply was all I wanted. I never tinker with payware files but do like to know if files missing means something has gone boss-wonk. Now I have the explanation I can get the checking program to ignore all PMDG folders in future. :-lolHappy holidays all.

Guest tmetzinger

Thanks, Robert!