Sign in to follow this  
lostmoon

Underbelly of the 744

Hi there Capitans,I just wanted to know what those three structures (more accurately, openings) are under the 744? They resemble airflow vents? What is the purpose of these openings? There are two port side, and one starbord side.Curious,ThomasNew York

>Hi there Capitans,>>I just wanted to know what those three structures (more>accurately, openings) are under the 744? They resemble airflow>vents? What is the purpose of these openings? There are two>port side, and one starbord side.>>Curious,>Thomas>New York>>I believe they are intakes for the APUs, but I may be wrong.- John

They blow out hot air and thats all i know about them. I believe they are for the outflow from the packs. All i have to say is that it is great to stand under them on a cold and rainy day (i'm a rampee trust me, it's nice)Andrew

Guest D17S

On the belly? Mid section between the wings? Probably the air-condition pack heat exchanger inlets. Directly behind them are the 'outlets'. The outlets have a kinda venetian blind/louver arrangement to control airflow. The air-condoning system uses engine bleed air to pressurize and condition cabin air. It comes off the engine's (or the APU's) compressor section. It's called 'bleed air' and it's real hot. The bleed air goes through a heat exchanger to cool it down a bit before it

Guest capntom

Indeed, the NASA scoops on the belly are the intakes for the three AC packs. Tom

Guest capntom

>Just curious. What

Guest D17S

Ahh. Very space age. So our airplane has a touch or retro-cool. Well, after all, it is a child of the 60s. And speaking of, what's that smoke stain coming out of the heat exuchchaungiur euhesst loouviures. Humm?