Sign in to follow this  
Guest jcomm

Question for Real World 744 drivers...

Guest jcomm

I have jumpseated on many airliners, but never on a 744... The most close to real (until PMDG's QOS ) experience I have had is the one provided by PS1, and there is something I was wiling to ask:- I have taxied the PS1 744 (it has three different engine configurations, but let's concentrate on the CF6) with medium to max GWs by using innitial break thrust immediately followed by ground iddle, and found that it never need additional power, and will hapily accelerate towards 29 knots (and stay there...). I find this a little bit too high. At least I tended to believe that a heavier jumbojet would attain a lower iddle taxi speed then a not so loaded one...PS1 does not consider slopped rws/tws, so the question applies only to zero degree slopes!Can jon b or janov tell us more about this?NOTE regarding the PMDG744QOS:In my oppinion, and given the default rolling friction coefficient used in MSFS I think that the PMDG744QOS designers took the best/correct option by avoiding to introduce the bias of a higher than normal iddle ground thrust. People who like me benefit from the modified SIM1.DLL will see their jumbos taxi at iddle as they should!

The ground friction isn't realistic in the PMDG but that's realy the only thing that isn't realistic. It's a magnificant pease of sofware/simulator but I hope that the ground friction will be updated in the -400F.

Guest capntom

The real 747-400 has a lot of residual idle thrust and will on a flat runway accellerate to a fairly high speed at medium weights! At lighter weights we will often shut down 2&3 on taxi in after at least three min of cooling.The only time much thrust is needed for breakaway is if you are heavy and perhaps have some uphill, or some snow depth.Adjustments are available for runway friction in FS9, I have made this mod, but it was a long time ago and I 'don't recall' (Clintonian emphasis).

Guest B1900 Mech

Sim1 Dll,ftp://82.176.145.29/

Guest jcomm

No, you're wrong!There's nothing wrong with PMDG's 744. What is wrong is the rolling friction parameter in SIM1.DLL (MickeySoft). If you use the alternative bellow in this thread your 744 will act perfectly!!!

Guest james320

What do you do with the sim1.dll file? Just place it in the modules folder?

yes and make a backup copy of the old one

Guest james320

I went into the Modules folder, renamed 'SIM1.DLL' as 'originalSIM1.DLL' thn moved it to the desktop. I then placed the new 'SIM1.DLL' file into the Modules folder.The result... no noticeable difference. The PMDG 744 is still a b***h to taxi - unlike the PMDG 737NG, LDS 767 etc., which taxi fine.Even at low gross weights, the 744 seems to need a huge amount of thrust to get it moving, and a significant amount of thrust to keep it moving.Turning corners is a nightmare... applying enough thrust to keep it from stopping makes it go too fast, so I reduce thrust and it stops altogether. Corners tend to a be a stop/start experience, although I have recently found that 48%N1 worked quite well (gross weight was approx 270,000kg).If the other sims mentioned taxi without these problems, why is it not the PMDG 744 itself that's not at fault?And if the SIM1.DLL affects FS9 rather than any individual aircraft, surely it will change the taxi behaviour of other aircraft (although I haven't notice any change in the 744)?

Guest jcomm

I'm not absolutely sure, but you shouldn't leave the "originalSIM1.DLL" file in the Modules folder.1) Make a backup of the original SIM1.DLL to some other place;2) Make sure you install the modified SIM1.DLL.

Guest BodoM

Hi,there is no access to the FTP directory anymore. Can you please mail the sim1.dll to me?Bodo_Mueller1(at)gmx.deThanks.___________________________Best RegardsCpt. Bodo M

Guest petermcleland

For me the PMDG 747-400 taxies like a dream...absolutely no problem at all. I find it very amusing that you will tamper with something so essential as SIM1.sim and then expect any support whatsoever from PMDG. This complex and rather wonderful aeroplane was built for Microsoft's Flight Simulator 9.1...you guys who mess with Sim1.sim are not even using FS9.1. Surely you don't expect support from the builders.