Sign in to follow this  
Guest markyp

737NG Questions...

Guest markyp

Hi all many questions that i am looking for answers to please!1. When at the gate with the engines off, how much of the equipment is turned on, like lights, A/T, FD, ?? 2. How do I work out wind component, say I am cruising FL350 and the wind is directly at the side of me, as it is normally not a total headwind, this is for fuel planning purposes.3. Could someone please explain OAT when entering this into the fmc on the NG, I know sometimes they set this higher in the real world, for something to do with the engines.... what is a normal figure to use? How does this also effect climb etc..?4. Cost index what is this mainly do and what do airlines normally set this to?5. Window heat, probe heat procedure? When is this used, what are the procedures on this? 6. Wing and Eng Anti ice switches I thought this was always an automatic thing but there are flick switches for my control?? Again procedure for this?5. I am looking for the charts like the PMDG747 that shows fuel for alternates and the amount of fuel for how long it will last? I think the only one for this with the 737 is for pressure alt one that I could fine? Again this is for fuel planning?? I hope someone knows that I mean!! I would be most grateful if some kind person could answer these questiosns for me!!Thanks in advanceMarkyP

Guest Robin.B

I'll answer as far as I can - Though I can assure you that probably all of these are explained in the manual.1. It depends. If you start the flight with the 737NG with the engines running and then turn the engines off, you will see that most of the needed things, such as the Ground Power or APU, Fuel pumps, electrical and hydraulic systems are off. If you start with a Cold and Dark file, everything will be off.4. Cost Index is to basically tell the aircraft which balance you want between whether it should get there sooner regardless of fuel usage or it should go there in the most economical way possible regardless of speed. It depends heavily on the airline so you should either find real airline cost indices, or simply enter any number you want. I know that Southwest uses 36 for their 737's.5. These are shown in the Normal Procedures checklist on the 737NG Manual. Window heat are turned on whilst on the ground, and Probe heat are also turned on straight after engine start.6. Wing/Eng Anti ice is again explained in the manual - and I believe they are turned on if:On the ground:- There is visible icing/snow around the airport- Temperature is 0 degrees or belowIn the air:- Typically turned on after FL180.7. The 737NG AOM includes, just like the 747, a Fuel planning section. It's called "Cruise Planning"