Sign in to follow this  
markadeane

Feeling stressed this xmas? A solution...

I'm sure it's the time of year folks, but lately this forum (and many others more so) has had an element of less-than-friendly discussion. We're all guilty of being curt with people at some point or other.I personally think it's a reflection on the general intellect of your hi-end addon pilot that we have such an active discussion and debate culture in our community. There's a whole set of politics that goes with flight simulation that the average joe wouldn't understand, but that each of us has a point of view on.The trouble is sometimes we could all do with a bit of time away from the forum when it gets a bit heated.So here's a solution, and it's simple...Fly your airplane. Remember WHY you have so much knowledge and so many passionate views of the hobby.Pick your favourite route, favourite time of the day, do some serious preflight planning. Get aboard, fire up the systems and get those before start checklists completed before your depature slot comes around!For me at the moment, it's a Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt to Chicago or New York. Chase that sunset across the UK, get your oceanic clearance before passing Shannon. Fly the Atlantic in the last rays of the evening, then get yourself prepped for a nighttime arrival. While you're in the cruise, why not take an hour or two to browse the manual? How ever much you know, I'd wager there's still stuff you didn't even realise this aircraft can do.What about you guys? Favourite routes? Why? Post them here for everyone to have a go themselves.Merry xmas everyone, and don't forget to spend some time with the family will you?

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Mark-(I'm guessing the name is Mark....but you didn't sign the post! Please do!)Thank you for your post!I have always been pretty vocal about being baffled by the "product vs. product" politics.... Seems like a rather disjointed waste of time- especially when you consider that even as a developer producing high end simulations, I enjoy the products produced by many other developers such as LDS, CaptainSim, etc. I really wish users could find a way to be less antagonistic between product lines and just get back to enjoying the sim! Those who can't are missing out on much!Every now and then I get to reading some of the less polite posts that float to the surface occasionally- and it makes me so fed up with the state of the forum process that I seriously consider just locking this forum down to make it a one way communication medium rather than the open ended discussion that it has traditionally been.... But then I wind up running into an old commerade from various aviation exploits, or an old simming friend from the early days- or someone posts a freeform explanation of how much they like the work we do- and then I remember that it's far more fun to make friends and explore our hobby in depth when there isn't a moderator authorizing every single post. After we released the 737, I hardly ever flew the airplane. I think I have logged a few thousand hours testing the airplane in all manner of conditions- but maybe only a half dozen flying it around for joy.With the 747-400, I've been recently spending a much greater amount of time flying the airplane around and "being a customer." (Sure- i have my squawk sheets out and i log anything unusual that i see...has helped us to snag a few things along the way...) I set a goal for myself that I'm going to fly the 400 around the world east bound in real time....and the 400F around the world westbound.Here's my adventure as of today:The PMDG livery KBFI-SFO and had the joy of a really twisting LNAV/VNAV approach to 19R because of winds...The new UAL livery KSFO-EGLL and landed in some heavy early morning fog. Tried to hand fly the approach but found it was below category I minimums so i had to turn it over to the autoland after a go around....THen I loaded up a Virgin and flew it to EDDF, where I made a quick turn to a Lufthansa airplane and flew EDDG-LFPG.....From Paris I flew an Air France to LGAV where I completely botched the slowdown and found myself at 280KIAS only 14nm from the runway...so I popped it into TOGA, then went freeform over Lefteris' house to wake him up and get him back to work on the 400F.....After spending nearly a week at LGAV- I picked up a China Airlines and flew it to VNKT.... Now i realize that it's a bit impolitic to fly one of China's national airlines into Kathmandu- but I think the flower on the tail of that Dreamliner-China livery is quite pretty- so you'll have to forgive my little transgression.Two nights ago I flew a Malaysian out of Kathmandu and took it to Bangkok. (You want some FUN? Fly a VNAV approach into VNKT...then turn around and fly a VNAV off of runway 20.... climbing right hand circile to get above the mountains.... at FL240- they are still above you. That is impressive as heck!) I had planned to head for Malaysia, but after putting out a cargo fire I elected to get it on the ground sooner rather later- since I happen to know that the guy who programmed the failures on this airplane is a bit of a sadist and I might have lit my cargo back on fire with my nasty little snippets of code.... There is no smyte worse then self-smyte- so I headed for Bangkok where the airplane awaits repairs.Tomorrow or Friday? Maybe a Qantas to Sydney to pop in on Ian, who has been one of our more heavy handed beta testers during the past year......Then Phillipines to Manila? Korean to Souel? Then and old UAL to Guam... China Southern to the old Kai Tak....JAL to Tokyo and EVA to Seattle?Who knows.... but the bottom line is that this sim and every addon airplane/scenery you can put into it is a #### of a lot of fun.Savor the moment guys. I remember when it wasn't nearly this much fun, or this immersive- and at the end of the flight you can go to sleep in your own bed. This old line pilot can really see the value to waking up in the morning with my 65lb Golden Retriever laying on my feet rather than some stale hotel blanket.Enjoy guys- and Merry Christmas, by the way.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Hi Mark, Robert,Great works and I 100% agree. It's great to meet people with common interest and to share the good moments of our hobby.There will always be people around who can't appreciate the great work which is done.But when I'm flying in my cockpit overhead the Atlantic Ocean, "running" after the sun" or landing in the Rio or HKG with the mountains and landscape around me, typical "Portugees or Chinese English online ATC, then I know that all the work I did for my project and the most apprecieted help of the software developpers I get, is worth it.This is the moment I say to meself: Therefore I did it.Let's think possitive and the best Seasonal Greetings to you and the PMDG Team.B. rgds from Ostend - BelgiumMichel

Hi guys,Having seen so much of the negativity that you spoke of in the forums, I too find it hard to understand why people become so "wound up" with what sometimes appear to be insignificant issues.I have tried to calm many a thread, like one in another developer's forum earlier this week, where someone was going ballistic because they had to wait 2 days for the remainder of the liveries available? I mean really.But while travelling between the forums I have also noticed that there are some people who become "consistent" moaners in the various developers forums. When there are real issues to be resolved and I have expereinced some on most of the sims I fly, they are dealt with and life goes on. Like you say, rather than have the hobby of being a moaner for the sake of it, why not chill out and make your hobby flying the sims. It is after all what we all want to do!It was great reading through these posts and realising that Robert uses the product and gets so much enjoyment from it. The only problem I ever have is this. Too many aircraft in my hangar, too many destinations I want to fly to and not enough time to achieve them all... a lovely problem to have.Having just concluded a flight from YSSY to KLAX, I am preparing for an internal coast to coast KLAX to KJFK. Only another 12 hours flying and I will be back at my point of origin EGLL.

Mervyn Edwards

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest captbdel

Hi Robert, Lefteris, Mark + CHUMS! ;-()After spending the best part of this year visiting this website and the forum reading all comments "thousands" of times waiting myself at times impatiently for the next new delivery i.e 747 etc I may not write the longest replies so I'll keep this short and sweet- he says ;-).I just want to say "THANK YOU" (massive letters) TO ALL STAFF OF PMDG" from me for providing the FlightSim community with one of the BEST enjoyment product's - "EVER". When daily work life grinds me down even in meetings my mind drifts of to getting home and taking this bird for a flight. A whole new world opens up when I'm sat at the parking gates its raining, the cockpits cold with a cup of coffee in my hand I'm preparing to take myself and crew on another fantastic-imaginative journey that takes me anywhere in the world. I soon forget about all my troubles and realise how wonderful another human being has made my life by creating such a beautiful bird that only I the Captain of, can fly. ;-)Thank YOU and have a very Merry Christmas.CaptbdelAer Lingus

Guest morvious

>I soon forget about all my troubles and realise how wonderful>another human being has made my life by creating such a>beautiful bird that only I the Captain of, can fly. ;-)Yeah, developers like PMDG and LEVELD ruind my life for good.Friends even wonder if I am still alive ;)Great posts all of you.. Lets just hope that the complaining stops in the year 2006.Greetings, Stefan van Hierden

Guest neilb

For a long time I used FS and didn't really go onto forums like these. Then I did and my eyes were opened up in 2 ways.1. I found out about new and great products, both payware and freeware and thats increased by enjoyment by a factor of 2^32.2. I found out that the largely adult based group of FS fans is also extremely childish. Impatient for releases, demanding on features, unwilling it admit when they make a mistake (aka not a bug), and holding petty grudges against other companies while kissing the arse of another.It really is juvenille and pathetic.Congrats to PMDG on a great year :) Hope 2006 is just as good.

Guest captbdel

Nice one Stefan - you made me chuckle!!! Merry Christmas my Co-pilot! ;-)CaptbdelAer Lingus

Sounds like a blast, Robert!I wish I could find out what AI texture file is causing my fe.dll crash! That is the only thing keeping me from flying longer than an hour lately. When the freighter does arrive, I will fly all around the world!

Oops, Apologies for the not-sign-post mistake, my bad! :-)I must say it is heartening to see that even Captain Randazzo can end up high and/or fast in the Queen. If one of the guys who built it can be challenged by it then what a great reflection on the plane.All the best guys and see you in January, I'm off to enjoy a quality NZ summer xmas (If you haven't had one then you need to try one!)Mark

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest morvious

2. I found out that the largely adult based group of FS fans>is also extremely childish. Impatient for releases, demanding>on features, unwilling it admit when they make a mistake (aka>not a bug), and holding petty grudges against other companies>while kissing the arse of another.>>It really is juvenille and pathetic.>I think you will be amased to see how small that group is actually.The FS community has grown a lot in the last few years, and is still growing. If I only watch how IVAO grows it is just mind blowing.Ive been active on many forums in many years now, and I did see many things about those people!1: They share most of the times the same age. "Little" kids that are younger, and less money to spend are complaining so now and then on forums about any little detail. I can understand though, its a hard life sometimes to safe some money for stuff like this. Ive been there myself :)2: Most of the times, it are the same people complaining.If you compare it, I think you will have a small % of people complaining though.It is a shame that because of these people, some developers (Payware and freeware) stopped designing stuff for FS :(.Edit:I always forgot to sign the reply..So, Best wishes, Stefan van Hierden

Guest Buck Bolduc

Merry Xmas and a happy new year to everyone!

Guest SteveK

Robert,This is what sets you guys at PMDG apart from some other development groups, or at least in my opinion. You guys enjoy your products just as much as the loyal customer following you have.In my opinion, at the moment in the commercial aircraft category, PMDG and LDS set the standard, but I also enjoy the products from some of the other developer groups. I just love to fly the Real Air Spitfire from time to time, you can just about do anything in that old bird.I really think there should be more personal interaction between developers and customers, like how you just told us about your round the world flying. Hey, you just inspired me to do a round the world flight as well. Not sure what aircraft I'll do it in though, but we'll see.So, wishing you, the PMDG guys and your families a very Happy Christmas, and a prospurous 2006.Cheers,

Gents-Okay- since there was some interest- here's an update on my 400's whereabouts....I loaded up a Qantas -400 and gassed her up to reach Sidney in order see some of Australia... Takeoff weight was just over 780,000lbs and this was the first flight where i was able to test the Aerosoft Australia MCP/EFIS/EICAS hardware along with the new Engravity 747-400 CDU hardware. (I'm running out of room around my desk....)The CDU is an amazing thing. I expect that we will complete testing of the CDU interface software and make it available for purchase next week or the first week of January- but only because we are takign a bit of family time for the holidays. The CDU itself adds a level of realism to the simulator that simply has to be experienced.... If you can afford one of these- get one. (We'll have them available for sale right from our site shortly...) They are not cheap- but I certainly think they are worth the expense...At any rate- I had a friend visiting who has a bit of experience in the 400. (A bit being defined as 7800hrs....) Obviously- I was keen to impress him with our software- and I wanted him to experience my hardware setup- so I invited him to fly the takeoff. You can imagine my consternation when, immediately after rotation the #3 engine fire warning illuminated. Looks like those BKK mechanics didn't do too good a job fixing the previous problem that brought me to BKK...I ran QRH and we got the airplane cleaned up and cleared up in the climb, leveling at 15,000 before starting the fuel dump in order to bring the landing weight down. My visitor (normally jovial and quite animated) burrowed into the challenge as if it was just another day at work. I will admit it was the most unusual engine out climb i've ever flown- since i was standing next to him in order to carry out the duties of the non-flying pilot... ;-)During the fuel dump- the gods of averages struck again- and #4 began showing signs of duress in the forum of extremely high EGT. Sure enough- following the QRH led to a shutdown recommendation.So now the discussion ensues: The QRH says to shut the engine down- but we already shut one down on that side of the airplane. Is the shutdown recommendation a technical recommendation to prevent potential economic damage to the engine? Or is it to prevent a massive failure that could cause further damage to the airplane?If the shutdown request was technical- wouldn't our interests be better served by leaving the beast turning in order to have the most available thrust to make the already planned emergency landing?Heck no. If the QRH says to shut it down- then it's time to pull the fuel shutoff. The ORH doesn't take anything into consideration other than the safe operation of the airplane after a system failure- and you can bet that the engineers decided that excessive EGT was a pretty significant safety problem if they recommeded shutting down the engine... For example- what would happen if that excessive EGT led to an engine fire? We already used one bottle on the right wing.... If the second bottle was insufficient to put out the fire on #4? We'd really be in a pickle then.....Think ahead to things that might bite you.So we pulled the fuel cutoff and adjusted the trim a bit more....My buddy continued to fly- all the while praising the realistic handling of the 400 with two engines out on the same side. (I include this here to compliment Dr. Vaos...) No- it wasn't simple to fly- but he's done this a few times in his training and apparently felt it was a realistic experience, with the exception of the fact that rather than having to answer questions from the cabin crew- my golden retriever provided distraction by trying to share her raw-hide toy during the intercept maneuver.....Within minutes we were safely on the ground- having landed the airplane at just shy of 700,000lbs in spite of the maximum landing weight of 630,000lbs.Why?Well- once again it's one of those Emergency Authority decisions. We've already lost two engines- and the chances of losing a third were obscenely remote- but....WHAT IF?Loss of a third engine at our flight weight would guarantee that we'd have a hull loss write-off for the airline and the insurance companies. Oh- and yeah- the lives of a thousand people or more would be violently disrupted by the news that a loved one died on an airplane..... So the limitation was tossed out the window and every effort was made to set the big wounded bird down as gently as possible with the minimum of fuss....(Don't tell anyone- but I set those failures up to see if he could handle the circumstances.... I should have been a sim instructor- I have that tiny bit of sadist buried in there someplace.)So it appears that I'll be spending christmas in Bangkok....unless I can convince my wife that this Sydney leg is really more important than wrapping gifts...Wish me luck. ;-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I have to say that dealing with serious failures is something that I still need to work up to! It has been a huge learning curve from non flyer to "virtually" piloting the greatest aircraft avaialable today.There in lies a major part of the interest for me though. Along the way you assimilate a huge amount of information and knowledge. It is a great hobby, which I am very pleased to be part of.RegardsMervynPS. Robert - I had a serious incident on Wednesday while on finals at YSSY, my Jack Russell terrier decided to jump onto my lap, causing a sudden swing to the left on approach. But I managed to recover! Now a real world pilot would never have to cope with that... lol

Mervyn Edwards

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg