Sign in to follow this  

Round the World Challenge - Part Two

QUOTE from two posts above ^ / "If nobody minds, I will take the baton for now and continue heading east," skyboxer.SKYBOXER has the baton. :) Good Luck!...... and by the way what is the ruling in refueling, I never refueled, only landed with about 11 gallons left.--------------Paul MeyerKrypton AirTVA.com

YeeeeHaaaa! The terrain is kinda boring here. I added a pic, hope it wnet OK. Will let you know when I land

OK, It looks like I'm going to land at a place called N'djamena (FTTJ). It's in Chad, I hope they are friendly. I'm still about an hour out. I'll get another pic when I land.

PIREP:RE: N'djamena (FTTJ). It's funny, I thought I had the Baton. I am also flying in the dark. It is pitch black out here for me.I am in the Cessna 421 at 17,500 and there are scattered to broken clouds about 16,000. I departed DRZT at 18:21 UTC, ETA for FTTJ is: 20:30 hours. This is Niger to Chad. This airport has an ILS, and a tower. The runway is concrete and 9186 feet long. The airport elevation is 988' I am GPS nav and VFR. So one way or the other, if we don't drop them, we ought to have two Baton's there in FTTJ soon.Keep Em FlyingScreen Shot in next report.

Okay. You got seem to have it SKYBOXER. I must have missed your first post on this . But how are you flying in daylight? Ha.Well I can't really tell who was first on this. Let the judges sort it out. I'll try to get down with the ILS into this CHAD outpost. It is an outpost to me. Ha. I just bought this C421 so I don't know the radio gear at all. But I'll try to figure out the ILS now. Ha. Wish me luck.

Aye, Skyboxer has the baton.SKYBOXER - Don't post a second screenshot, or it will earn you a strike! (You must post one, and ONLY one, screenshot per flight).You're not supposed to post it until you're landed and finished, as part of your PIREP, but it's not a "strike" for doing so. :)No rules at all about refueling. If you run out of fuel (though admittedly that's hard to do in less than 3 hours!), feel free to land, refuel, and hit the air again if you like.--TonyP.S. - I will start the third thread when I get home from work in another 2 hours.

Okay, couple thoughts here if I may interject while someone else is flying to Lord-only-knows-where at this point.1) Heather, I too had the impression that someone was looking for a long haul so, you're KINDA off the hook. (Though I am frankly glad that we didn't end up in the Azores. I was looking at my maps last night and thinking "There is no way we're getting outta here in 3 hours!")2) She flew a DC-3 I think it was. DC-10 is a HEAVY with the three BIG turbofan, fire-breathing things!3) Yes, back to Heathrow but via San D., got it...we better hurry!4) A race between Avsim and FlightSim, I LOVE IT!!! But no swapping teams half-way through!5) DARN! Here you are trekking across Africa and I'm stuck at work.Thanks and as they say in the ATC world, "Good Day."

DC-10 is a HEAVY with the three BIG turbofan, fire-breathing things!......how about the old Ford Tri-Motor...3 engines with fans (2 bladed props) and it certainly belched fire John

John,Touchet!You're right, there WAS a predicessor. And I think flying a TriMotor on one of these legs is a BRILLIANT idea. (Also the Ju-52). But I don't think Heather was flying a DC-10!Thanks,

I am in Maiduguri, Nigeria. Landed at 1908GMT. Very dark here, not much to see in the screenshot. I had to land early. Not because of anything in the sim, but time constraints in my real life. Looks like flight time was 2 hours, 40 min. Distance traveled was about 260nm or so. Kind of a dissapointment to me, but I guess evey little bit helps. Ready for someone elst to take the baton

Hi Heather,Sorry your mad, even if it is at yourself. :) It was a simple mistake. I guess this is a learning experience for all of us, and hopefully if we do this again in the future we will all have a better understanding of the rules. I appreciate your leg of the trip and hope to see you back around for another one. I too thought we needed somebody to cover the long distsance across the pond, and I do thank you for your effort. Well, if only we would gone on to St. Johns, Newfoundland (only 1024 nm great circle distance) as opposed to the 1505 nm leg from LPFL to GQNN we would have been at least half way around right now. But I guess that doesn't work with the rules?See ya around...-------------Michael"The one fellow who is really broke in the air is the one who is out of both altitude and airspeed" (Wolfgang Langewieche, Stick and Rudder)

Well I see that skyboxer got it. Ha. Well I did finish the leg I was on, and right on my ETA: 20:30 UTC as I recall. Here is the shot at N'djamena, Chad. And I want to say thanks to those who told me the 421C was a good buy. I'll settle in with it as soon as I learn how to tune the radios. Boy I'd like to find my MAP screen too? Any one know how to use the MAP feature in the Golden Eagle?

Lowell,Don't you just love the Cessna 421C... It has became my favorite plane, and I used to only fly 737's. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.-------------Michael"The one fellow who is really broke in the air is the one who is out of both altitude and airspeed" (Wolfgang Langewieche, Stick and Rudder)